micarta handle oiled

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loiblb

Single-Sixer
Do you have to keep your micarta handles oiled to keep it in best condition?
These were made by a forum member years ago for me.

Attachments

• new grips.JPG
    new grips.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 129
  • new grips 2.JPG
    new grips 2.JPG
    550.6 KB · Views: 113

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm assuming that micarta is a synthetic material that may be bonded by additional synthetics (it could also possibly be bonded linen). I would 'google' it. Another assumption is, that since it's not a natural material i.e. wood, ivory, bone, leather etc. it requires no 'oiling'. I have no idea how durable it is either, but my guess is that it can take normal wear and tear.
J.

Calcasieu

Bearcat
WD-40 works well. I use it on Micarta knife handles. Not really necessary but makes them look better for a while. Can reapply as needed.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Micarta is a fully cured epoxy type synthetic product .
It cannot absorb anything .
Would you oil your synthetic rifle stock?
Buff them if they get scratched bit that's about all you can do.

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
put the Ballistol on the back of the grip? I put ballistol on anything I want to protect. I put it on my saddle & tack.
Ballistol doesn't leave any residue just a protective coating.
FWIW.......LOL

Snake Pleskin

Banned
So the oil just sits on the surface BUT DOESN'T MAKE THAT SURFACE SLICK? HMMM? I'd be looking for different oil.
I must be missing the point, sorry.
yes n no, the oi just imparts a bit of shine. A drop or two is all that is needed. Since micarta is resin and either canvas or linen layers (think plywwod) compressed under tremendous pressure etc. It is man made (obviously and designed to withstand extremes of temperature and different things like oil,, cleaners etc. Canvas Micartas makes a rougher griping surface and Linen micartas makes a finer surface. there are a zillion grades of the stuff., and it can come in rough to very smooth textures. It has become very popular for knife handles since it is so stable and holds up under adverse condition and abuse. it has made its way into handgun grips too.

I have a few pieces of micarta in my tool box that have been there since the '70s and they look the same now as when I first acquired them. No need to oil it as far as I can see. If you should oil it all you would have is a slippery hunk of micarta.

Greenjoytj

Bearcat
A post #4 above by RSIno1 said he uses automotive car wax.
Maybe try imparting a shine on the Micarta grips with one of the new liquid Ceramic car waxes. It makes a car hood so slick road dust just slide off or blows off.
It might work on the revolver metal too, so powder fouling doesn't stick or at least is easy to wipe off.

I have this Becker bk7 knife I've had a couple years. Bout a year ago I ordered a set of the optional micarta canvas grips sold by Becker. When I got them, they were so light I decided to see if I could darken them. I put a couple coats of liquid Snow Seal for boots on them. That was bout a year ago.. I'll show the pics of before and after. The before pics were taken off Beckers website and I just took the other picture. I gotta believe they do absorb some, don't know how deep. You be the judge.
bk77hndl.jpg
20221010_121934.jpg