Metal burr on GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NCMountains

Bearcat
Well I got my GP100 yesterday and while looking over the gun when I popped the cylinder out I noticed a small metal burr that protruded up slightly. I checked to make sure it was not rubbing anything, which it was not. But you have to know me, that was not good enough. I had to go to my local ACE hardware and get a fine rat tail file and carefully and meticulously filed it down.

Now I feel better. :lol:

bub

Single-Sixer
Sometimes they are a little rough from the factory. I don't know how new Rugers are nowadays, but they also had a reputation for coming from the factory ABSOLUTELY FILTHY!!!! When I got my GP100, it seemed that Ruger saved money on the trash bill by dumping all the floor sweepings in my GP! It was absolutely horrible!

A couple of years later, when I bought my SP101, it wasn't too bad, but it was also the display model at the Gander Mountain I bought it from, so I didn't expect it to be too bad. Still somewhat gritty inside and full of burrs (due to the fact that Gander Mtn has Master trigger locks on all their guns and will not remove them to let you check it or dry fire), but not too filthy.

You'll enjoy the GP100. Rough, tough and absolutely reliable. All you need and nothing you don't in a DA combat revolver. I absolutely LOVE mine and, if the Chief at my PD would authorize us to carry .357 ammo on duty (we are restricted to .38+P, even in .357 revolvers), I would go out and get a 3" GP for duty use and retire my beloved Glock 21.

Bub

NCMountains

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. The gun itself was clean. This is so far the only small metal burr I have found. I really do look forward to shooting this revolver. I remember years ago, and by that almost twenty ago I was looking maybe at buying a .357 magnum. I remember looking at the GP100 and thinking to myself what a ugly revolver. Funny how things change as you get older. I love the look of it now and it received some of the best reviews by consumers I have seen. Never saw a bad word about the GP100.

Great buy and like one person stated, this gun will be around longer than I am alive.

rhatimi

Bearcat
I got one not to long ago (4 inch stainless) shoots like a dream. The GP100s as with most ruger revolvers are not particularly known for their fit and finish, heck if you look at it long enough you might find many scratches, tooling marks, cutter marks on the refiling, oddly fitted barrels and somewhat excessive cylinder play on even the new ones. But they get the job done over and over, and that's what matters :wink:

bub

Single-Sixer
NCMountains, I know how you feel about the way the GP looks. SEVERAL years ago, when I was going for all the training I had to take to be a firearms instructor at the PD I work for, I decided to buy a 4" service revolver for the revolver instructor class instead of just borrowing one from one of the guys at the PD. Now, keep in mind, this was the early '90's, before I had a computer or had surfed the 'net. Indeed, most of the websites we all know and love weren't even around them. I looked in all the gun rags and decided that I didn't like the cast construction of Ruger guns. I decided to get something different and get a Colt King Cobra in stainless.

The KC worked out well for the class but, when I started shooting it recreationally, the barrel started coming unscrewed. Off to Colt it went and, when it came back, I started shooting it again and the barrel started unscrewing again. Sent it back to Colt yet again, then sold it when I got it back. Except for my S&W M649, I was without a revolver for quite a few years.

When I decided to get another service-sized .357 a few years ago, I went with the GP. I had been reading a lot on the 'net about revolvers and found that, aside from complaints about the size, weight and sometimes the overall fitting of Ruger guns, the GP had the fewest complaints of any currently made .357 revolver. Big, yes; somewhat beefy, yes; but it is hell-for-stout and should last me for the rest of my life. In fact, I did the IBOK "fluff and buff" on the innards of my GP and slicked it up. The trigger, while still a little heavy, is now a lot smoother than any revolver I've ever shot, including some of the vaunted "pinned and recessed" older S&Ws. I'm VERY satisfied with my GP and it's one of the last guns I'll part with. Funny how your perceptions change, isn't it?

Bub

NCMountains

Bearcat
Funny you say this because I did look the gun over very well last night and on the bottom of the trigger guard I did find a very slight scratch mark that appears more superficial than anything. In fact you can't feel it to the touch it is so slight. But once again, I am funny that way.

Probably will shoot this gun for the first time this Saturday. Will give a first shoot report with my slants on this gun then.

rhatimi":2dvop1yq said:
I got one not to long ago (4 inch stainless) shoots like a dream. The GP100s as with most ruger revolvers are not particularly known for their fit and finish, heck if you look at it long enough you might find many scratches, tooling marks, cutter marks on the refiling, oddly fitted barrels and somewhat excessive cylinder play on even the new ones. But they get the job done over and over, and that's what matters :wink:

NCMountains

Bearcat
Glad it was not too bad there as well. As far as gun smiffing......... :shock: I will leave that to the real professionals.

wixedmords":35oiloo7 said:
Good job NCMountains.

My guess is that bub was alluding to the inside of the revolver being grubby.

NCMountains, you are on your way to being a Gun Smiff now. :)

NCMountains

Bearcat
I have a friend that bought a Colt KC and I assume he still has it. I have never asked to see. That is not good for a barrel to come unscrewed for sure. Like I stated, the Ruger GP had no negative reviews I could find no matter how hard I searched.

I feel like this revolver is a home run. Just wished I had bought one years ago, seems the price has gone up quite a bit from the first time I looked at one. But still a great deal considering other brands.

bub":3cmzfkba said:
NCMountains, I know how you feel about the way the GP looks. SEVERAL years ago, when I was going for all the training I had to take to be a firearms instructor at the PD I work for, I decided to buy a 4" service revolver for the revolver instructor class instead of just borrowing one from one of the guys at the PD. Now, keep in mind, this was the early '90's, before I had a computer or had surfed the 'net. Indeed, most of the websites we all know and love weren't even around them. I looked in all the gun rags and decided that I didn't like the cast construction of Ruger guns. I decided to get something different and get a Colt King Cobra in stainless.

The KC worked out well for the class but, when I started shooting it recreationally, the barrel started coming unscrewed. Off to Colt it went and, when it came back, I started shooting it again and the barrel started unscrewing again. Sent it back to Colt yet again, then sold it when I got it back. Except for my S&W M649, I was without a revolver for quite a few years.

When I decided to get another service-sized .357 a few years ago, I went with the GP. I had been reading a lot on the 'net about revolvers and found that, aside from complaints about the size, weight and sometimes the overall fitting of Ruger guns, the GP had the fewest complaints of any currently made .357 revolver. Big, yes; somewhat beefy, yes; but it is hell-for-stout and should last me for the rest of my life. In fact, I did the IBOK "fluff and buff" on the innards of my GP and slicked it up. The trigger, while still a little heavy, is now a lot smoother than any revolver I've ever shot, including some of the vaunted "pinned and recessed" older S&Ws. I'm VERY satisfied with my GP and it's one of the last guns I'll part with. Funny how your perceptions change, isn't it?

Bub

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Their stainless guns should come with a "clean-up kit": 1) small file, 2) flat stone, 3) fine sandpaper, 4) Scotch Bright pad. That way you could do all the sharp edges, burrs, nicks & scratches and polish up the action.
...But I love my Rugers. :D

...Jimbo

martyj

Blackhawk
The new Rugers are pretty bad.
I bought a new vaquero and was cleaning it up and was bleeding from the frame by reloading gate.
I looked a sp101 at gun shop and the crane had a big old burr on it.
I dont think any effort is going to the de burring or inspection

wproct

Single-Sixer
Just sharing the experiences one of the GP100 revolvers that I bought new. When I bought it, I had looked the revolver over, and swear that I cycled the action several times, but when I got it home I found an issue. When I cocked the revolver in single action mode, when I pulled the trigger it took a lot of force on the trigger to drop the hammer, and when it finally dropped, there was absolutely zero over-travel of the trigger. I disassembled the revolver to check it out. I found that there was machining debris inside the frame that would retard full movement of the hand. Once I got the debris removed with a dental pick all was good. I was glad that I got it figured out without having to return the revolver to Ruger.