Melatonin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

graygun

Hunter
I read a little about the side effects but thought I'd see what you folks might relate about any good/bad experiences you've had.

I'm 66 now so sleep problems are common. I bought a bottle of 3mg tablets and have been taking one a night for about a week. It is effective and seems to have less side/after effects than diphenhydramine.

Jim Puke

Hunter
My sister and several folks I know have taken it to good effect. However, it is my understanding that like other things, you develop a tolerance to it after a while and might have to switch and come back to it.

clbshooter

Single-Sixer
I tried it years ago. I was taking the 3 mg. size.
I found that it helped me get to sleep, but it was hard to wake up. Always felt tired for a few hours when I got up. I tried to get at least 7 hours sleep a night but as I said very hard to wake up.

dougader

Hunter
Jim Luke said:
My sister and several folks I know have taken it to good effect. However, it is my understanding that like other things, you develop a tolerance to it after a while and might have to switch and come back to it.

My doctor told me the same thing.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have tried it on a few different occasions and it didn't seem to have any affect on my ability to sleep better. Glad to see it works for some.

Nurses who work night shift swear by it. Although I worked nights for 35 years, I have never had trouble sleeping, anytime, anywhere. If I am not tired, there are plenty of things to do. Catch up on reading, reload some ammo, research whatever my current interest is at the moment. Yeah I am a nerd, and darn proud of it. Good luck greygun.
gramps

RonT

Buckeye
I take the 3mg size and never had a problem with side effects. Seems to work for me.

bsnake

Single-Sixer
I also take a 3mg at bedtime. Have been for several years. Works well for me.
Not tired in the morning, but then the 3 cups of coffee might be helping there.

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
A number of years ago I bought a small fan type noise maker to help me sleep. Mine is a Marpac. Has a little fan inside of it and the plastic cover moves to allow more or less holes to move air and change the sound. You can also try an online noise maker like this http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php Even a TV on no channel makes a good noise for sleeping. But I need the room dark also.

Yeah, I know. Sounds like crazy talk. But it can be too quiet. I start hearing clocks ticking in the other end of the house. Fans and conveyors running downtown at the grain elevator. Neighbors doing stuff. A bit of noise works for me.

fiasconva

Single-Sixer
My brother tried it for a while and had to give it up. While it helped him to sleep it also gave him bizarre dreams. He decided it just wasn't worth it.

graygun

Hunter
fiasconva said:
My brother tried it for a while and had to give it up. While it helped him to sleep it also gave him bizarre dreams. He decided it just wasn't worth it.

I like bizarre dreams,lol. :shock:

graygun

Hunter
Thanks all,I'm not planning on taking it tonight. I've used a box fan for background noise and it helps and also have some natural plant-based supplement that aids sometimes.

ned

Single-Sixer
I use a product called Griffonex 5 htp from Health Concerns. it is L-5 hydroxy tryptophan- the stuff in turkey. I was told to take it with something sweet- no problem- an extra desert. Works well for me. It does seem to enhance dreaming so some nights it is better than late night TV. Oh, and I try not to read the Political section on this site before bedtime- that helps more and I don't wake up screaming

blume357

Hawkeye
According to Prairie Home Companion.... Catsup will do the same thing..... guaranteed by the Catsup Advisory Board.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
When I do take it, I take 10mg (two 5mg pills) and it helps me doze off within a half hour. Enhances dreams too. I wake up refreshed everytime. I recommend it!

Robes

Single-Sixer
Bad Juju for me. I had bad dreams on steroids. If I need something for sleep, I take either "Calms Forte" http://www.calmsforte.com/home/
or I take a homeopathic herb called L-Orthinine http://www.houseofnutrition.com/lornithine.html

Both work very well. You don't wake up in the morning feeling like you are just coming out of an anesthetic. Take about 30 minutes before bed and it's Good Night Irene....

stevemb

Hunter
I used to rotate shifts several different ways over the yrs.. I also used a noise machine. With the Melatonin, I'd not use every day. Try every other, or third. Luck.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Melatonin? I think I remember the guy. Good blocker, but couldn't run worth a lick.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
fiasconva said:

Wife and I both quit taking it for this reason.

fiasconva

Single-Sixer
One of the medical talk shows I watched a few years ago said sleep trouble is sometimes caused by a lack of protein in your system. One of the dr's said just eat a little peanut butter before bedtime and it will help. I gave it a try by fixing myself half a sandwich and slept really well that night. Maybe it was a placebo effect but it worked.

Latest posts