medallions for idiots

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Can someone give a quick history of medallions used on Blackhawks that an idiot can understand? I don't think there have been that many (maybe 5?) I gave away 3 sets to a friend a few weeks ago, and now I am realizing I don't even know what I gave him. Thank You

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Thank you that helps, but can you describe the new black eagles(on the new model flat top), and how to tell them apart from the other (60's version) black eagles. Right now I should have guns with all except the 50's black eagle and new black eagle(on the new model flat tops) medallion...but the ones on my Old Model flat top sure look new(as in just made for a new model flat top.) I hope my question is clearer now.

I have:
OM 41 mag 4 digit s/n-born in 1967 with neck feather medallions
OM SuperBlackhawk with squashed chickens 1972 I think
Vaqueros (2 consec 44mag and a 45LC) and another New Model Blackhawk with new silver eagles
OM Flat Top with what looks like New Model Flat Top black eagles

mike722

Buckeye
the medallions on the 50s single six and flattop guns all look like these...
315468072.jpg

the new model flattops have the same type black eagles, but the neck on the hawk is thicker, where the head and neck meet...kinda like the same style used from about 1965-1970..

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
...ok, so do collectors consider these new model flat top medallions the same as the ones that look "kinda like the same?"

And if I am a new aspiring collector with the humble aspiration to acquire one blackhawk with each type of correct grip medallion, who should I ask?

mike722

Buckeye
here is a new model black eagle...
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-44 ... C06619.JPG

here is another new model medallion from a 50th anniversary Super Blackhawk..
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-50 ... C06418.JPG

the new model black eagles appear to be a takeoff on the late 60s style..unless I'm missing a subtle difference..
so, I guess you would need a 1954--1965ish "skinny neck" eagle, a thicker necked eagle from 1965ish-1971, a "neck-feather" eagle (1967 only) , and the new model black eagle...
that is, unless, you want an example of all the silver eagles too..

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Thanks for your help mike772 but I think you are missing the point. I have the others already, look at my post before the one where you included the picture of the nice engraved gun. I need the correct medallions for the OM Flat Top that I just bought on this forum. That is all.

chet15

Hawkeye
mike722":1zag1ovl said:

That's a pretty good pic mike722. Yes, the neck is not as thick as the '66 to '71 medallions, and what I look at also is the top of the eagles head near his eye. Note that on ththis pic (pre'66 medallion) the eagle's comb comes around and goes down and inward where it meets his beak. On post '66 medallions and Ruger's black eagle medallions of today, the comb area of the bird is more rounded and does not taper inward.
Chet15

jfmcco":10vdunaw said:
so does this gun have two differrent medallions? is either one correct?
Per our PM conversations. Your grips & medallions are correct for your s/n .44 Flattop. Not sure what your seeing different between the medallions on both grips on your gun. Both are early "skinny" neck medallions.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I am not trying to accuse anyone of lying or anything else, maybe an honest mistake, that is all.
Will any experienced collectors be available at the upcoming NRA Meeting in Charlotte, NC to verify what I have?
Perhaps communicating accross the Mason Dixon Line has caused a bit of confusion?

caryc

Hawkeye
There is one distinct difference between the old black eagles and the current re-issue ones.

The old ones are .052" in diameter.

The new ones are .495" in diameter.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I am sorry for being ignorant, but I am trying to learn. The two pictures above are actual pictures that I took of the grips in question. To me it looks like one of them has the feature that Chet 15 mentioned near the beak, the other does not. If I am wrong please help me understand.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
caryc":1f3h73tg said:
There is one distinct difference between the old black eagles and the current re-issue ones.

The old ones are .052" in diameter.

The new ones are .495" in diameter.

If that is the case, I still can't tell because they can not be removed for a measurement without damaging the grips and/or medallions.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey JFMCCO, I just got a new flat screen monitor and the grips sure look the same to me in the pictures.......the gun and the grips look like a matched pair to me......you will make an excellent Ruger collector......we tend to over ANALyze everything :roll: :roll: :roll: see ya RR.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
radicalrod":22ok00zs said:
Hey JFMCCO, I just got a new flat screen monitor and the grips sure look the same to me in the pictures.......the gun and the grips look like a matched pair to me......you will make an excellent Ruger collector......we tend to over ANALyze everything :roll: :roll: :roll: see ya RR.

...are you sure your monitor is flat?
:shock:
Thanks.