Mec-Gar mags, Mk II, recent experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

With the ongoing absence of factory Ruger Mk-series .22 mags, Mec-Gars seem to be the next choice from a lot of vendors. But apparently there's been a love-hate relationship about them in Mk IIs for some time. Even watched a buddy smash one on a rock out in the desert last week after years of frustration with it...

Anybody have experiences with recent production Mec-Gars to tell if they're getting "better" or if the problems are still enough to worry about?

Rick C

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

With the ongoing absence of factory Ruger Mk-series .22 mags, Mec-Gars seem to be the next choice from a lot of vendors. But apparently there's been a love-hate relationship about them in Mk IIs for some time. Even watched a buddy smash one on a rock out in the desert last week after years of frustration with it...

Anybody have experiences with recent production Mec-Gars to tell if they're getting "better" or if the problems are still enough to worry about?

Rick C

I've had very good luck with the Mec-Gar magazines, and it's a pretty well know fact that Mec-Gar (in Italy) makes all the Ruger pistol magazines and some that I have for the SR 22 pistols are even stamped, "Made in Italy". I have a fresh shipment of Ruger Mark II magazines coming in, and due to arrive any day now. For more info contact me here: [email protected]

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Interesting...I wasn't aware the .22 mec gar mags had a "spotty reputation." For the LC9(s) everybody wants the mec-gar mags stamped made in Italy because the made in USA ones have been problematic...

John

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Putting these magazines side by side, there' very little difference. One difference that's noticeable is the follower button. the Mec-Gar mags use the older .250 diameter follower button, whereby the Ruger magazines have the .327 diameter "three ring" style follower button. I'm due to receive 50 magazines in, early next week, so if you're having trouble finding Ruger Mark magazines, send a message to: [email protected] and I just may be able to help you.