Meaning of American Pie by Don McLean

Help Support Ruger Forum:

haymaker

Single-Sixer
This is great. I remember when the song first came out and I knew it had something to do with the death of Buddy Holly and Richie Valens. The pictures explain a lot about the song. Don McLean is a musical and poetic genius.

opos

Buckeye
Lots of memories...I always am "critical" of the events of that time as "recalled" by folks that didn't live then...I graduated from High school in '55 and from college in '59 and still have a pretty good memory of things that took place then...When I watch reruns of "Happy Days" lots of it is more centered around later times...some old (like the Cunningham's De Soto) and some newer like the 60's...but it's all fun. I have not kept in touch with the high school folks and not gone to reunions...my 60th was this year and I understand lots of folks were in the "memories" portion of the booklet...never did much in college but work and go to school and graduated with 2 kids (2nd one born a few days before graduation day) so not much "social life" in those days.

Great fan of the Eagles so McLean is always a favorite.

Cholo

Staff member
^^^ True. Except for the deaths of Holly, Valens, and The Big Bopper, it was just random lyrics. He got the biggest kick when so many people tried to interpret what he meant :mrgreen:

Here's a classic song by Don McLean, not trying to hijack the thread. Vincent:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

PS: I also remember someone calling in to talk radio asking what the hell McLean was singing about in his song "Vincent" :lol:

radicalrod

Hunter
Well when I was in HIGH SCHOOL a friend and I went to a local concert and the opening act was a guy in a wheel chair playing guitar and singing......

His last song was AMERICA PIE....he said he wrote it and Don Meclean had made him RICH....he said I don't care if you believe me or not as long as the checks cash.....that's my story and I am sticking to it....RR

I was at Fort Rucker Alabama in early 72 and the station from Ozark seemed to play that song about every other song. Though I know it didn't, it seemed that way. BIG hit!