Max 9 back from Ruger...update after 10 months.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thanks for all the feedback. I cleaned it really well, and I'm going to go to some indoor range close by to test it out tomorrow.

It came with 3 magazines. I'll take all three to the range. At least I thought it was 3. Might have been just two? Hmm. I'll have to look in the box. I often times just keep one magazine out with the gun and store the others. Less clutter…

Well, I don't know what this was. If anything at all.

I just got back from an indoor range, went through at least 150 rounds, not a single problem at all.

Tried all three magazines, but only loading 14 rounds, not the max of 15.

I should say I did also take a dremel with a very small bit and lightly went over the front sight screw head. Just to give the barrel a slight bit more space.

But wow! What a great gun. This is the model 19 Gen 5. I've heard they went over the trigger and made it better than the previous generations. But I must say, I actually really like the trigger. And the new sights I have on it are awesome! Some Tru Glow fiber optic sights. They are bright and so visible.

I did also take the Ruger Max 9. I really, really like this gun as well. The sight picture is different, so switching between the Glock and Ruger just caused me to pause and think about each gun.

They are very interesting to shoot side by side. Both being striker fired. The recoil of the Glock is sort of straight back and a little soft. The Ruger Max 9 wants to flip up in your hand. The Ruger's trigger feels a hair bit crisper, then the Glock. But the Glock's trigger feels smoother, like a complete arc. the Ruger feels like 3/4 ARC, then a shot.

I really like both guns a whole lot.

hittman

Staff member
I have and love the G19x Gen 5. Gen 5 is of particular help to me being left handed.

I've said here before, I bought mine and put almost 1000 rounds through it the next 3 or 4 weeks. It runs perfectly in every way.

I have and love the G19x Gen 5. Gen 5 is of particular help to me being left handed.

I've said here before, I bought mine and put almost 1000 rounds through it the next 3 or 4 weeks. It runs perfectly in every way.
I'm left handed also, how does it help you being left handed?

Mike J

Hunter
If you think one less round in the magazine helped you might want to load your magazines up & leave them loaded for a week or so. The spring should take a set. It should still function fine but have just a little less pressure.

I haven't shot a Gen 5 19 & I've never owned a Glock but I like the size of the 19 & 23 & I like how they shoot.

46thnc

Bearcat
Took it to the range again and so, so nice. Only 5 or so magazines through the gun, but all just as smooth and accurate as anything.

By comparison, the Glock 19 I bought…something is wrong with it. It had a jam, which I though was weird.

Then, the next magazine 3 jams.

Then a good magazine,

Then a jam on the last round of the last magazine.

Hmmm….something's wrong.

BUT! The Max 9 is chugging right along.
Describe "Jam"

They did. When I bought the Max 9 I debated between that and a Glock 19. I do now have both.

The Glock 19 is definitely bigger, but also very comfortable to hold with a nice trigger.

I guess I sort of like the mushy feel of a striker fired pistol's trigger. It's more of a squeeze than a pull, and there doesn't seem to be a defined "edge." Definitely no "glass rod" feel to them. :) But still you don't feel how heavy they are. Nothing like say a double action revolver, which can have quite a heavy trigger.
Yeah I've had a Kel Tec P11 since the 90's which has the suck trigger. I love the CZ75 DA/SA with an incredible SA pull. I can thumb the hammer as easy as the safety. Of course a full/mid size takes a lot more commitment. I really like the Max 9 and especially the Crimson Trace. Top group was 3 seconds offhand at 25yds the bottom rested about 6 seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_134712063~2.jpg
    IMG_20221130_134712063~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58
I would argue that Glock service is every bit as good as Ruger's. But …. They don't seem to be as "needed" as Ruger's. I only know of 2 or 3 people who have had to send a gun back to Glock. All had stellar results.

One friend double charged a reload 45ACP and blew his apart. Glock replaced everything but the slide and barrel, function tested it and returned it with a new magazine too …. All for $120.00.
I can't imagine how someone could double charge. The powders I use are lightly compressed midrange and would be seriously packed at max. One load I was looking at you would have to fill the case, pack the powder down and add the rest before seating the bullet!!!(10gr 3N37 behind a 65gr Lehigh in 9mm!!!) I stopped at 9.5 but they wouldn't reliably cycle. I bumped up to 98gr bullets with lightly compressed loads and they feed and cycle in everything.I guess I'll be finding out how great Ruger service is. My Max 9 is light striking. 3 ftf in 150rnds. All of the primers look smeared instead of imprinted. The top one is from my Kel Tec.

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_145843095.jpg
    IMG_20221130_145843095.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
Ruger service called me back the next day. It seems they don't have a stronger striker spring available for the Max 9 but I could send it in anyway. I said no thanks and ordered a+20% striker spring from Galloway. I'm sure I'll sacrifice a little bit in the trigger dept but when I need a bang I need a bang. I'll be assessing the strike depth as well. I like my primers to know they've been hit.

Got the spring in the mail this evening. That tiny hole didn't want to release the tailpiece but I finally got it. Getting those retainers back in was a joy!!! I'll find out tomorrow if I need to turn some more setback on the firing pin. I like my primers to know they've been hit.

Second update. Used the mill cutter to make the firing pin channel.030 deeper so the firing pin can reach the primers with some authority.

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_131927495.jpg
    IMG_20230104_131927495.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 59