Material in Ruger 10-22 receivers and trigger groups

Help Support Ruger Forum:

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Did a search without any solid evidence in response.
Title says it all...what are Ruger recievers and trigger groups made of? I'm aware that current trigger groups are polymer, tho' recent ones are of alloy, and that is really my question.
What alloy are they? I always thought they were aluminium, but the look of mine makes me wonder. Zinc wouldn't be the end of the world, as the gun WORKS just fine.
But I am wondering.
Thnx in advance,
Moon

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its aluminum, zinc is not a good casting alloy. All of the trigger groups with a factory extended mag release are polymer plastic, the ones without the extended safety are aluminum. I could be a bit off, some early polymer ones might not have the extended mag release.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Not meaning to argue, but the quality of the castings in my current 10-22 are poor enough to lead to the question. Always thought zinc cast pretty well on small models and such, and it is more than strong enough for the light stress on it in a rimfire auto.
I can't complain overmuch, considering how reasonably priced my 10-22 was and how well it works.
Matt, appreciate the comeback, and no disrespect, but any proof of what the receiver is made?
Thnx,
Moon

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger has recently switched from aluminum trigger housings to glass-filled nylon. The nylon housings extend the life of the molds and keep specs tighter.

Receivers are still made of an aluminum alloy.

Denis

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"...but any proof of what the receiver is made? "

Ruger advertising, catalog, and owner's manual states aluminum alloy.

Zinc is a much darker white metal than AL alloy, and much more brittle. It has a tendency to form large globular face structures with defined boundaries and gaps between those structures, so a zinc casting is easily noted. Zinc will fracture and bend in sharp corner configurations, and stress risers from ball-shaped impacts are easily created.

Zinc melts at 787*F, aluminum around 1220*F, and alloys higher.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
mohavesam":eqdny4s6 said:
"...but any proof of what the receiver is made? "

Ruger advertising, catalog, and owner's manual states aluminum alloy.

Zinc is a much darker white metal than AL alloy, and much more brittle. It has a tendency to form large globular face structures with defined boundaries and gaps between those structures, so a zinc casting is easily noted. Zinc will fracture and bend in sharp corner configurations, and stress risers from ball-shaped impacts are easily created.

Zinc melts at 787*F, aluminum around 1220*F, and alloys higher.
Okay, I'll stand corrected and convinced. It's just a crummy aluminum casting...
I was aware that current production has a plastic trigger group, and I'm sure it will perform just fine. The guy that told Dustin Hoffman's character in The Graduate that plastic was the future...well, he was a pretty smart feller.
Moon

CraigC

Hawkeye
Wow, I don't know if I'd keep a rifle I thought so little of that I referred to its receiver as a "crummy aluminum casting". Ruger's been building that gun out of "crummy aluminum castings" for 40yrs. :roll:

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
CraigC":1nx8gmlm said:
Wow, I don't know if I'd keep a rifle I thought so little of that I referred to its receiver as a "crummy aluminum casting". Ruger's been building that gun out of "crummy aluminum castings" for 40yrs. :roll:

Hey, just cuz' it's ugly doesn't mean it won't work... :lol: I mean, consider the Sten or those awful Russian tommy guns.

Naaaah, I'm not THAT unhappy. It's just clear to me that the gun is built down to a price, now more than ever. The interior isn't nicely finished, and the exterior has thick black paint kinda glopped on.
As noted, the trigger is actually better than one I had years ago. Maybe that's because Bill Ruger is dead; he insisted on heavy triggers to fend off the lawyers.
Moon