Match Grade GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tascofeldman

Bearcat
Looking hard at the Match Grade GP100 with adjustable sights. Who has one and what are your thoughts. It will be my go to gun. Is it's accuracy as good as the 6"? I have an early GP with the 3" 1/2 lug barrel and the accuracy with jacketed defensive rounds is excellent at social distances but not really a distance gun. The match grade might even see action in the bow stand once gun season opens. The 6" is not really an IWB gun so it's not a front runner in the consideration.
Thanks!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The "Match Champion" is just a 4" (OK, 4.2" these days) GP-100 with a recontoured barrel, a fiber optic front sight, a revised grip, a somewhat improved action and a higher MSRP. As to it's inherent accuracy, it's going to be the same as any 4" GP-100.

DPris

Buckeye
22/45 has it.
Accuracy no better, no worse.
It wasn't built as a target match gun, the name refers to action matches.
Denis

The Match Champion is a fine weapon, as accurate or better than any of my other D/A revolvers, and worth the money as long as you don't pay top auction prices. In my opinion, you can't beat it as a carry revolver for trail or SD use and it is very handsome to boot. I love mine, can you tell? And I'd say it's a step up over the average GP100, with a better action and grip feel.

27c2fa27-f4b7-4404-9050-050ae6217e36_zps016c4d30.jpg

BKDinTexas

Bearcat
Mine is extremely accurate. More so than the other seven Ruger revolvers I have, which are also quite accurate.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
BKDinTexas said:
Mine is extremely accurate. More so than the other seven Ruger revolvers I have, which are also quite accurate.
When people make claims like this I wonder how they are determining "accuracy"? Ransom Rest? Bench rest off of solid bags? Off hand and unsupported at 7 yards?

BKDinTexas

Bearcat
How about 3 rds under one inch at 15 yards rested over sandbags? 5 rds under 1.5 inches at 25 yds over sandbags? Only done limited shooting this way.

6 shots all on a 10" steel plate at 50 yards offhand. Single action. Usually at least 4 out of 6 double action.

Is that descriptive enough for you?

DPris

Buckeye
The one I had here was on par with my other GPs, not bad, not exceptional. :)
They're good, but not match-grade guns.
Denis

22/45 Fan

Hunter
BKDinTexas said:
How about 3 rds under one inch at 15 yards rested over sandbags? 5 rds under 1.5 inches at 25 yds over sandbags? Only done limited shooting this way.

6 shots all on a 10" steel plate at 50 yards offhand. Single action. Usually at least 4 out of 6 double action.

Is that descriptive enough for you?
The first two sentences do tell me something about the gun's inherent accuracy unless these were one-time groups and weren't repeated a few times to confirm them.

The offhand shots at a steel plate tell me nothing about the gun and only a little about your skill.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
4 sets of 6 rounds 357 Federal Hydro Shock 7 yards Ransom Rest 10 minute cool down between sets indoor range. Largest group 1.25 smallest .75 average 1 inch. The only way to test a gun. All ammo from the same lot number.

DPris

Buckeye
Arguable, it's ONE way. :)
And 7 yards doesn't tell me anything.
Denis

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have never been interested in the MC GP100's. I don't think the cost out way's the regular GP100 for accuracy and or trigger. I would be just as happy with the lower cost of the 4.2" and or for me the 6" is the winner. They are a fine looking revolver though. But I also like the full under lug on the regular GP.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
jstanfield103 said:
I have never been interested in the MC GP100's. I don't think the cost out way's the regular GP100 for accuracy and or trigger. I would be just as happy with the lower cost of the 4.2" and or for me the 6" is the winner. They are a fine looking revolver though. But I also like the full under lug on the regular GP.
I like the appearance and styling of the MC, particularly the adjustable sight version, but to me the extra cost isn't justified.

A $10 Wolff spring kit (12 pound hammer and 8-pound trigger return springs) and a little smoothing of the action parts made a world of difference in both the double action and single action trigger pull of my standard 4.2" GP. The single action pull went from 5+ pounds to just over 3 pounds.

Latest posts