Match Champion cylinder makes noise!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
The cylinder on my Match Champion does not spin freely and makes noise when spinning it,(kind of like the sound of brake pads)...unlike my standard GP which spins freely with no noise at all...I have oiled and lubed it repeatedly with no change.
Although it still functions as it should... I guess it's basically more annoying than any thing else. Just bothers me that this "premium" revolver does this. Btw...it is basically new with less than 100 rds. through it!
Anyone else notice this? Thinking about taking it to my gunsmith for his opinion.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I don't own a Match Champion but I do own several (6) regular GP's an none of them make a noise like that.
I assume this is when the cylinder is in the open position?
I would make sure it is clean under the ejector star and lightly lubed. Check it one more time with the muzzle pointed slightly down. There is some slight end play in the cylinder and crane assembly when the cylinder is open. It is possible for the rear of the cylinder to contact the main frame at the lower rear of the cylinder on some guns. If still no joy, give Ruger a call.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like you may have a small burr not polished off or something causing this. Maybe a disassembly of the cylinder by a gunsmith OR Ruger can fix it easily.
A polite call to Ruger may get you a free shipper to send it back for inspection & repair.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Before taking it apart, clean and blow out any 'stuff' that might be in the bearings of the cylinder/ejection rod/crane assembly (Gun Scrubber) then re-oil and see if that doesn't help. Stuff can get in there and bind-up the spinning of the cylinder. :D

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys, but again...it has less than 100rds through it, mostly .38spl...
My standard GP has easily 500+ rds. through it and it spins perfectly quiet!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Quickdraw said:
Thanks guys, but again...it has less than 100rds through it, mostly .38spl...
My standard GP has easily 500+ rds. through it and it spins perfectly quiet!
Stuff from the manufacturing process can get into all the delicate parts of a revolver including the cylinder and the trigger. Gritty triggers have been fixed by a thorough cleaning and lube job. I have had rough cylinder rotation fixed just that way also. :D

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have probably a similar situation. My 5 in bbl GP100's cylinder spins freely when swung out of the frame whether the revolver is pointed up or down. However, my 3 in bbl .38 spl GP100 operates differently. When the barrel is pointed down it will spin freely just like my other revolver, but when the barrel is pointed up the cylinder has a rough gritty feel to it. I have taken the cylinder off the crane and cleaned and inspected it, but the roughness is still there. I truly think that there is some small grit or machining shreds still in the cylinder that I just failed to find, but the revolver functions fine when the cylinder is swung up and locked in closed position in the frame. I'm sure that Ruger would address the situation if contacted but I just don't want to deal with sending mine in for repair. Someday when I'm bored and looking for something to do I will take mine down again and try to do a more detailed search for grit or debris.

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
Did it squeak during your initial inspection, or did it start after a range trip?
A dragging cylinder has a nasty affect on trigger pull; Do you notice a terrible difference between your two examples?
It would drive me insane having a squeak!

turboeightysix

Bearcat
My GP 100 had a similar problem. After about 500 rds. the cylinder became harder to rotate and noisy and finally would not close. After much diagnostic frustration, the ejector retaining screw had unscrewed and the ejector rod actually came out.
If you are a mechanical type, there are a couple good video's on Youtube on how to disassemble the crane. Once you separate the cylinder you can clean it and see what's going on. If you want to take it farther, Brownells makes a special bit for the screw part no. 080-432-001WB. The screw has left hand threads. Be careful not to cross thread it. A thorough cleaning, some polishing and a little blue Loctite and I was back in business. I shot 250 rounds the other day and so far so good.

Dave

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the comments and worthy advice! I am not the mechanical/tinker kind of guy soooo...if it gets real bad...think I will simply send it back to Ruger and let their stellar service dept. take care of it! :lol:
Qd

Latest posts