"Mat stainless" vs. Target gray

Help Support Ruger Forum:

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
I regularly see Ruger rifles advertised as "mat stainless" when they appear more like they are gray.
Some are described as "target gray stainless".
Does anyone know if the gray-looking ones are really stainless, or just gray painted steel?
Thanks,

Myron

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm really at a loss as to why there is so much confusion about the late model Rugers and their finishes. Firstly, Ruger does NOT paint or coat stainless steel. Matte stainless steel is typically stainless steel that has been bead blasted for a dull, non-reflective finish. Any gunsmith can duplicate this type of finish in a blast cabinet. "Target gray" is a proprietary finish where stainless steel is treated with a chemical that turns the surface a dark, yet slightly glossy gray. You see this finish on their 77MKII and 77/22 varmint models as well as the Super Redhawks in .454 and .480. This finish can only be done at Ruger, so far no one has been able to duplicate it.

Target gray:
Ruger%20SRH%20480%20-%20008.JPG

I think they are all pretty much stainless with some type of blasted or polished finish on them. Ruger has a proprietary patent on some type of stainless steel casting system that allowed them to make these stainless guns 'cheaper'...

with all that said... the one exception is the receiver on the 10/22s and possibly other rimfire rifles.... a stainless steel 10/22 will have a stainless steel barrel but the receiver is aluminum, the newer ones might have a coating on them... I don't think mine ever did.... just aluminum polished to look like stainless steel.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
Much thanks for the replies!

CraigC - the part about the silver coating now makes sense, although the 10/22 I saw on Gunbroker looked distinctly like more of a dove gray - almost a plastic look, with the blasted SS barrel. I would imagine this one also has the plastic barrel band and trigger group. (kind of ugly IMO)

My older Mini has the blasted SS barrel, and the action is also a blasted clear aluminum finish.

Myron

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
i bought new bottom metal for my M77/22 in target grey SS so i could buff off the finish and have the trigger gaurd match the SS all weather action which i had taken from a boatpaddle stock and threw into a nice factoy walnut. as far as the other finish that is on the new hawkeyes i do not like it at all, i would rather have the smooth nicely finished mark II all weather. but to each their own.

TROB

Bearcat
CraigC":2ee0v9ka said:
The "stainless" 10/22's used to have a clear anodized finish. They're now silver coated.

correct, i was just about to mention that. it sucks