mass shooting in the last decade

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
There is a chart near the bottom of this article. It totals 328 victims. In the last decade how may individuals have been killed in automobiles? Where is the crying to ban or regulate who and how cars can be operated?

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Probably most here agree BUT the media and politicians are playing the sob story. I'm always suspicious of these things since the real issues are overlooked by those trying to advance their own mis-directed agendas.

vito

Hunter
I think the average citizen has no idea how often a gun is used to stop or limit a crime of violence. And it seems that too many really think that new laws will magically stop the psychos from killing innocents. Personally, I feel no compulsion to compromise on any more gun control, since I fully understand that those supporting such efforts will not stop until they succeed in banning all private ownership of firearms.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
DonkeyPox

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
In 20-21 there were 276 million registered autos in the US. There were 42,915 deaths

Pal Val

Buckeye
More innocent people are murdered in Africa and Latin America with machetes than people murdered in the USA with guns. That's why people migrate here from those places, looking for safety. It IS safer here!

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
There is a mass shooting problem in this country. What the answer is I have no idea.
Obviously it isn't gun control laws. Maryland has some of the toughest in the nation and Baltimore is a 'war zone'. I honestly don't think it's a 'gun problem' as much as a 'people problem'. As I was growing up the police policed, without worrying about someone's feelings. Cops walked a beat and carried, and used, a billy club. Families were families. People went to church on Sunday (Saturday for my Jewish friends). Respect was not just a word. Kids played OUTSIDE, read books. People worked for what they needed or wanted, not awaiting the government to 'give' them anything.

Last edited:

dannyd

Single-Sixer
CDC numbers so take for what it's worth, but between 2006 and 2010 we had more people killed in the US do to alcohol over 426,000 than were killed in WW2 420,000. There are dozens of DUI laws on the books and they only work if people abide by them; same with gun laws.

dannyd

Single-Sixer
There is a mass shooting problem in this country. What the answer is I have no idea.
That's easy we need to go back to the way things worked. Dad, mon kids make up the family. Respect our Police officers, teachers and the one's in charge. Can we do that probably not, so like other countries in history we have put ourselves on the endangered species list.

We have No One other to blame than Ourselves.

turd

Blackhawk
Most of these mass shootings (yes, I know not all of them) are conducted by teenagers. Is there a way to keep semi-auto rifles out of their hands? Maybe the law needs to be the same as the one for fully automatic weapons? Who needs a firearm that will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger and holds a 30 round magazine? I'm 70 YO, have owned guns and hunted with them since I was 16, and I can come up with no rational reason for needing "modern sporting firearms" for hunting. Wanting one? Yes, I get that, but is your freedom to own such a weapon more important than 19 children's lives? Again, I am not an anti-gunner. I currently own and shoot 9 - rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Years ago I owned one of the early Colt AR 15s. I shot it, it was fun. I remember chasing jack rabbits across farm fields with it (I couldn't adjust my aim fast enough to hit them on the run). I eventually sold it because I just couldn't envision using it to legitimately hunt anything other than varmints, and that was better done with my .22-250. What can we do? Something needs to change.

turd, I am going to make a short and sweet reply to your statement. THE 2ND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT HUNTING, IT IS ABOUT CONTROLLING OUR GOVERNMENT FROM BECOMING A DICTATORSHIP OR ANY OTHER FORM OF GOVERNMENT THAT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY OUR FREEDOMS.

Why do you think the liberal Democrats are trying to outlaw (gun control) all types of firearms - think about it for a while.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Ron is 100% correct.

Plus,, I'll add something else.
If 18 is old enough to serve in the military,, why is it not old enough to buy a gun? We send our 18 year old "teenagers" into combat,, yet,, you propose to restrict other 18 year old people?

As the saying goes; "You can't have it both ways!"

turd

Blackhawk
Anyone have any constructive comments that work toward a solution? I agree with all of the above, but we still need to figure out a way to stop it.

I knew better than to get involved in the political debate, but damn, I did it any way. Just thought maybe gun people could have some good ideas instead of letting the antis have control of the debate. My bad,

blume357

Hawkeye
I've thrown out my idea hear and on another forum and gotten shot down (sorry for that analogy) from the Strict 2nd amendment people. It is a very long term solution and will not solve anything for a decade or two but here it is:

Mandatory firearms training. Now before everyone gets their undies in a bunch... let me explain. This would be training starting in grade school and up and into college for everyone... and any adults would also have to have it. Now here is the thing... this would be required of everyone regardless of if they ever wanted to own a gun. Everyone... I'm not saying this would be required to own a gun I'm saying every citizen and long term alien would be required to be trained.

And I know it will never work... but it is an Ideal. One of the problems with freedom or what little we have left is that it allows evil to slip in.... people need to realize that the potential for it is alway there.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually,, I agree with blume. His idea is one thing that can help in reducing,, (notice I did not say stopping. You will never completely stop evil.)
In grade school,,say from 1st-3rd grades,, safety classes about firearms. Kinda like the "Eddie Eagle" program. Then, you can start with 4th graders up to 6th graders with BB guns, paintball guns etc to teach actual handling & shooting. By the 7th grade,, you can start using actual firearms,, AND make the targets reactive. Let the kids see the power a firearm can have. And add in Hunter Safety classes as a mandatory class.
Make every student take the classes.
Do this every year until they graduate HS.
Safety, respect, the power, the destruction,, all of it.

And then I'll say that they should also be taught about the consequences of mis-use. Injury, death, jail, etc.
Lastly,, enforce the laws already on the books, when a firearm is mis-used. SHOW these people that laws must be followed. BY EVERYONE.

This is just PART of a solution. Not the total answer.

Education. It's kinda like drinking, smoking or other prohibited things. Kids are curious,, and when most are totally forbidden to do or experience something w/o a good education about WHY,, they WANT to try it.
Look at how many people who sneak & drink or smoke, or do drugs.

But to put restrictions on any inanimate object, (the firearm,) goes against the 2nd Amendment. It's NOT the object,, it's the people. And as noted above,, the 2nd Amendment was never about hunting,, or even sports or whatever. It was to keep the power in the control of the people,, NOT the government or politicians.

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
I figure that the ability for an 18–21-year-old to buy a Long Gun is what the liberals will be after next...
I do believe that this change would have to be state by state buy possible federal intervention could also happen, Remember Clinton 1994-2004
I was once 18 years old too = 38 years ago, wasn't that long ago or doesn't seem like it now
BUT once they get their foot in the door, "we might as well just ban all "Assault Weapons" & then high-capacity magazines + rifles that shoot that caliber too & then all rifles & handguns period" = Australia & England
You see where this is going don't you

"Shall Not Be Infringed"

My Father taught my brother & I how to safely handle & shoot rifles & handguns when we were five years old
He also taught us how to keep a knife sharp with a stone
And also, what happens when you are BAD or don't listen or disrespect your elders
The belt & willow switch needs to be brought back to their backsides = Child Abuse in Today's World

pyth0n

Blackhawk
turd, I am going to make a short and sweet reply to your statement. THE 2ND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT HUNTING, IT IS ABOUT CONTROLLING OUR GOVERNMENT FROM BECOMING A DICTATORSHIP OR ANY OTHER FORM OF GOVERNMENT THAT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY OUR FREEDOMS.

Why do you think the liberal Democrats are trying to outlaw (gun control) all types of firearms - think about it for a while.
👍

Latest posts