Marlin camp carbine.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I hope Ruger brings back the camp carbine. I'd like one in .45acp with 1911 magazines.

Anyone think its a good idea?

I owned a Marlin about 25 years ago, in 9mm - I liked it, but not enough to keep it. I think Ruger's current PCC is better, because of the interchangeable mag well inserts, take-down feature, picatinny rail, left-or-right-side charging handle & mag release, etc. Unfortunately Ruger doesn't yet make it in .45acp, but that might be easier than tooling up to restart production of the Marlin design.

But a .45acp carbine that used 1911 mags would be nice - even nicer, if you could swap out the mag well and also use Glock 21 mags & maybe Ruger .45 mags!
:)

eveled

Hawkeye
My 9mm is a KelTec Sub 2000 it uses Beretta magazines. I like it a lot.

I wouldn't mind a .45acp Sub2000 for 1911 magazines.

The Camp Carbine is a neat gun, but they sell for way more than they are worth. To me at least. New in box ones are reaching M1A prices. Lol.

Last edited:

buckaroo

Banned
I'd like one in .45acp
Anyone think its a good idea?

No real benefit none either in 9mm. Now 10mm in a 5 pound gun now we are talking. I'm really supersized Ruger hasn't done it yet. They would sell like hotcakes if priced right. I'm sure the bean counters on Wall-Street would poo-poo the idea.

Another real area I wish Ruger would explore is defensive shotguns, S&W released a real dandy last year but way out of price range for the average like me.

My 9mm is a KelTec Sub 2000 it uses Beretta magazines. I like it a lot.

I wouldn't mind a .45acp Sub2000 for 1911 magazines.

The Camp Carbine is a neat gun, but they sell for way more than they are worth. To me at least.

Kel-Tec makes the Sub2K in .40 S&W, so I'm sure they could design & produce a .45 version if they were so inclined. But looking at George Kellgren's previous firearms designs with multiple companies, it appears that he has avoided .45s - he was born in Europe, where smaller calibers seem to be more popular, and maybe that has something to do with it.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I had a Marlin Camp 9 for 15 yrs or so. When I picked up a Beretta CX4, I
gave it to my brother. I really like the CX4 Storm. I've put a lot of rounds thru
it and never had a hic-up out of it. (I'd love to find one in .45ACP) My
wife has claimed my CX4 as her go to long gun. She loves how light and
easy to maneuver the bullpup design is.
Dano
IMG_0657a.jpg

DSCN2219a.jpg

"No real benefit none either in 9mm."
I'm not so sure of this. As I mentioned, I've had both Camp 9 and PC9 for years and now have 3x AR 9mm pistols.
My observations: Any of the carbines that function properly are a big advantage over any 9mm handgun for many purposes that may possibly involve ranges beyond 25 yards. Even a 7.5-9" barreled AR9 platform handgun has distinct advantages even as a home defense gun.

buckaroo

Banned
Many do, but the only benefit is sight radius. After a certain length you gain no measurable velocity. If you are going to lug around a 5 pound gun at least get a caliber that has some real knock down power. Imagine a 10mm loaded to it's original design coming out of a 16 inch barrel. Take down a polar bear, he'd just laugh at your .45 a.c.p. and a 9mm would insult him. :)
And the real beauty because of it's weight is low recoil.

NikA

Buckeye
BBTI (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com) shows 230gr .45 ACP peaking in velocity in the 10-11" barrel range and 180gr 10mm peaking in the 12-14" barrel range. Approx. 100 fps gain for the .45 and 150 for the 10mm. Despite having considered 10mm for years, I went .45 when putting together a carbine due to noise considerations. .40 S&W works well too. You couldn't convince me that any typical auto pistol caliber carbine is an ideal solution for bear; when there are bear sightings in the neighborhood, I swap a slug into my pump and have a .30 caliber rifle handy.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, the new Ruger SFAR has a 16 inch barrel, weighs under 7 pounds and packs 20 or more rounds of .308. THIS would be my choice for bear …. Just not an apples to apples comparison throwing in the pistol caliber carbines. Totally different animal.

buckaroo

Banned
I swap a slug into my pump

I hear ya, but that's the latest craze people what a pistol carbine caliber to mach their side arms. I'm certainly not buying into it, have absolutely no use for a rifle in any caliber. I'll carry bear spray before I will a rifle. And my 12 gauge is relegated to the two legged varmints, 30 feet or less your face comes off. And hopefully by next year I won't even be shooting my 9mm pistol any longer.
To much fun making my own buckshot loads.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
I enjoy the camp carbines, just make sure you change the buffer and spring in either the 9mm or 45 acp to prevent stock damage.
1 unfired nickel 9mm, 1 fired nickel 9mm, 1 fired blue 9mm and a blue unfired 45 acp reside in my safe.
pix125483490.jpg

Last edited:
I owned a Marlin about 25 years ago, in 9mm - I liked it, but not enough to keep it. I think Ruger's current PCC is better, because of the interchangeable mag well inserts, take-down feature, picatinny rail, left-or-right-side charging handle & mag release, etc. Unfortunately Ruger doesn't yet make it in .45acp, but that might be easier than tooling up to restart production of the Marlin design.

But a .45acp carbine that used 1911 mags would be nice - even nicer, if you could swap out the mag well and also use Glock 21 mags & maybe Ruger .45 mags!
The Marlin Camp 9 shares magazines with the Smith & Wesson 5906 and Camp 45 use 1911 mags.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I have a Camp 9, a PC 9, a KT SUB 9 (metal receiver version prior to S2K) & have owned a PC4.

The prettiest is the Marlin but the urethane buffer is the weak spot. It has a small recoil spring so the buffer takes a pretty good hit.

The SUB 9 is a solid firearm, S2K not so much. Neither it or the Marlin are stout enough to be a duty weapon which was the original intent.

The Ruger PCs are the best. Rock solid, a bit heavy but you know it's not going to break in half. Actually the PC4 was my favorite. A little lighter than the PC9 due to the larger hole in the barrel. It just felt right, better balance than the 9.

Years ago I was conversing with Coffee Pot about the carbines. He told me they had made 2 prototype PC45, one of which was, in his words, sweet! Apparently Bill didn't want to take it on into production.

welder

Buckeye
I had a utMarlin Camp 45 but sold it here on this forum years ago. I miss it too. I have an original Ruger PC9 and enjoy it as much as any gun I own b I would buy another Marlin 45 if given the opportunity and especially so if it took G21 mags.

Latest posts