Marlin 1895 stock question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hey guys, please accept my apologies for the non-Ruger topic but I have a question about furniture for my early 70's Marlin 1895 .45-70. This rifle has the straight grip stock with curved buttplate and tenon forend. I want to install a non-original stock and forend so that I can mount a recoil pad and preserve the original wood from hunting wear and tear. I have found a stock & forend set from an 1895G Guide Gun in the same configuration, straight wrist stock and tenon forend. This should fit my rifle no problems, right? Marlin hasn't changed the dimensions or anything over the years?

I love this rifle and want to take it hunting, however the curved buttplate is quite painful to my bony shoulder!!

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
I think you might have more luck posting this over on the Marlin Forum. Here is the link:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
Yes- everything should fit just fine. After using the original forearm you'll probably hate the big, fat one Marlin uses now.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
YES, any 45-70 is rough on your shoulder.
Midway USA has a pad you can get to help with the severe recoil and pain.
I am 72 and my shoulder does not like even a 30-06.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Should fit - I have an 1895 Guide Gun and an 1894 and those two different models interchange too. I can't find a good replacement buttpad for the 1895 though - every prefit one I get is too small.

Joe S.

Hunter
You will probably need a grind to fit pad to get it exact. I've never seen an aftermarket pad fit a stock perfectly.

Wish I had seen this. I'm wanting to sell the stock off my 444 or trade for an older slimline stockset. I LOATHE the fat wood they use now.

I agree the fat stocks are not the best. It's pretty easy to use some basic woodworking hand tools and in one or two hours plus some finishing time turn that fat wood into a streamlined slim line set.

I put a grind to fit limbsaver on my 1895 guide gun. The pre-fit ones didn't come close to fitting in my experience. Makes a world of difference in shooting comfort compared to the factory piece.