Marlin 1894 CST

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
I lucked up and was able to grab this Marlin 1894CST from a local seller recently. This rifle has a 16 1/4 inch threaded barrel chambered in 357 magnum, is stainless, and has black painted wood stocks. Other than the barrel length and chambering, it is totally different than any other lever action rifle I typically go for, but the thing was so darn cool I had to have it. I'm glad it worked out.

Well I picked it up Sunday. My nephew rode with me, so of course I had to let him shoot it first when we got back since he took time out of his busy teenager schedule to hang out with his grumpy old uncle. Here he is putting some 38 special on steel from about 15 yards.

After they left, I dug out my old scout rail and mounted it up. Since I don't have a scope or rings yet, I was going to mount my Burris Fast Fire 3 on the rail and just use that for the time being. It would not fit on this rail. So I'm guessing it is for a Picatinny, and this is a Weaver style, or vice versa. I was a little disappointed to figure that out.
No worries. I will just use iron sites for now.

So now the hunt begins for the "perfect" scout scope. I'm going to have to have a combination of great quality and good price for this set up. I also want to mount the scope with quick detach rings. I'm pretty sure I'm going to settle on the Warn or Burris quick detach rings, but if there's any others out there that y'all would recommend let me know please. And any opinions on scout scopes are welcome. I'm pretty excited about this little rifle. I think it will be a good little shooter.

Joe S.

Hunter
What do you consider an effective range for the 357 in a rifle? For varmints and whitetail, I kinda figure 150 yards.

Joe S.

Hunter
Scout scope with rings, sling, and a crappy elastic cuff arrived yesterday.

I think it looks pretty good.

Sighted in at 50 yards today. Started with my 38 plinkin loads and then switched to my 357 loads. Charge was 17 grains of WW296 and 158 gr JHP. I used two different bullets. A Nosler JHP and Hornady XTP.

Then i removed the scope and put it back on and it returned to zero.

I like it.

Of course I pulled a shot.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Thanks Joe... I saw this one months ago and thought how nice it could be with a scout scope and a suppressor and here you go posting up this..

I love my Rossi but this one might make me change

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Joe.... Leupold QRW are steel quick-detachable rings which have provided fine service on a variety of rifles and handguns. They're pricey, currently retail around $120. Weaver Quad-Lock (may have been called "4x4" at one time) are made from aluminum and considerably lighter, and retail under $20. The Weaver likewise provides excellent service. While I trust the Leupold for more severe recoil, either will sleep through shooting your Marlin.
David Bradshaw

Joe S.

Hunter
Absolutely!

My thoughts behind the steel rings is that they will give less when taking them on and off. Not like i'm gonna do that very often. But at least i dont have to worry about them if i do. Maybe.

Latest posts