Marks on Single Six cylinder face????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dondlhmn

Bearcat
This question is in regards a Ruger New Model Super "SINGLE SIX" Stainless steel revolver, Catalog number KNR-6 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. Bought this revolver and was told that it was VERY rarely fired (also got the box, all paperwork, both cylinders and the packing that was in the box) if at all and as we were examining the front faces of both the .22 LR AND the 22 Magnum cylinders, discovered that they both have extremely similar marks on them, in pretty nearly identical positions. My buddy and I examined the revolver quite closely to determine if the marks could have been put there by the gun itself, but they wre apparently not. The fact that both cylinders have very similar marks on them make us wonder if they were some kind of inspection or proof marks put there by the factory. Can some of you that own the same model revolver please have a close look at the forward faces of your cylinders and tel me it they also have similar marks or any marks at all? The one on these two cylinders have the appearance of tiny "peen' marks as if they were applied purposely by MAYBE some sort of vibrating engraver and the fact that both cylinders have such similar marks seems to mean(to us, anyway) that they were put there purposely and not by some random event.........Other resources seem to indicate that the last three digits of the serial number MAY HAVE BEEN inscribed by the factory, but if these are numbers, I can NOT tell what they are! If they are, in fact, numbers they were applied either in a VERY GREAT HURRY or by an illiterate! I would sure appreciate knowing the answer to this mystery! I may also call the factory and ask them about this, so if the marks were put there by them and place there purposely, I would think that they would be aware of them.....but don't know if I can pry any sort of info out of them! If I can figure out how to do it, I will try to put a picture in here!

Please reply to me at [email protected]

THANKS!!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Ruger uses that type of tool to mark the cylinder face with the last 3 digits of the serial number. In your case,,, it looks like the guy marking that cylinder has seriously bad penmanship.
Compare those marks with your serial number,,,, I bet it comes close.

That is bad penmanship, and not much better on my guns.... I have the same revolver in both blue and stainless. Yes the number are supposed to be there as Contender said...he certainly knows more than I do. I would like to point out you need to shoot your gun more! If that is a stainless cylinder it's too clean! (Joking...)

Don, welcome to the Form, as to the "bad penmanship", look like more of an improper setting on the electric pencil that is used to make the markings, BAD 'hits' broken or worn point on the carbide tip, nice try, but bad job,,,,do the marks even come anywhere near just what your guns last 3 digits may be?????

nice 'close up ' picture by the way.......good job :wink: