Mark ll loose fit Barrel to Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41special

Bearcat
Picked up a used Mark ll a few weeks ago, as I disassembled it for the 1st time & pulled the mainspring the barrel/receiver just separated itself from the frame. Now I've probably owned 5 of these pistols over the years & this one is the first one that didn't require a smack with a mallet to pop apart.

During reassembly I tried to set the barrel lug into the frame slot by tapping on the muzzle, this was ineffective. There is noticeable play between the 2 parts when it's put together, this play disappears when the bolt is in the back locked open position, could it be because it's putting more tension on the mainspring itself when its locked open?

Any thoughts on this situation appreciated, will this require a trip to Ruger to fix?

There are fixes for this; some a little scary. Easiest is making a shim from a soda can. Do a search and you should get lots of hits. Of course sending it to Ruger is always an option but probably not the cheapest.

In some cases, a soda can shim may be too much of a good thing. My local farm store has/had various thicknesses of brass shimstock that gives some options. A customer used this to tighten up a Standard by using superglue to hold the bras shim in place.

contender

Ruger Guru
Not mentioned is the fact that SOMETIMES some of the MK series guns get a little "wiggle" in the frame to receiver fit. As noted,, a THIN shim easily cures it.
I have one I don't bother shimming,, and I can attest to the fact it wiggles easily,,, but still shoots just fine.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Some of the MkII experts please correct me here if I'm wrong because I don't want to put any bad info out there...but can't you pinch the frame to tighten them up? I had one years ago that was a bit loose and used a plastic hammer to lightly tap on the frame sides to get it tightened up. The trick is to go slow and check progress since it didn't take much at all to accomplish a good fit.

Just an FYI but the same technique can be used to fit scope rings that might be too snug where the top ring half doesn't fit over the scope tube. Place the top half on a padded surface and with very light hits you can basically size it so you don't scratch the scope finish by forcing one over the tube that is too tight.

...simply insert a piece of cardboard ( business card) or a matchbook cover, or even a piece electricians tape ijn the front "hook" to tighten the upper to grip frame fit,,,,stays in place till the next time you take it all apart ( far too many folk take them apart ,all too often...) seen MANY botch jobs, boogered grips frames , even FUBAR, when back yard gunsmiths or kitchen gun plumbers try and remedy the "pinch the frame",,,unless you know HOW , HOW to, HOW much pressure and HOW to use the proper fitting, SMOOTH jaws of a bench vise, do not do this at home......you will mar, ruin a nice fit to finish .... 8) :roll: :wink:

mc1911

Bearcat
I squeezed my grip frame in a padded vise slightly. I bought it cheap because of the play. It works great now.