Mark IV Re-Call Changes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Been getting a few of the Ruger Mark IV pistols in that have been returned after the recall fix ( ? ). Here's what I have noticed:

TcMFAAll.jpg

3JvP6fOl.jpg
Um! This is not a sear, it's the SAFETY plate.

KD6kqSrl.jpg

4zpOAHil.jpg

The replacement sear sure looks to be a lot more crude as far as finish goes. Most likely that's why some are unhappy with the trigger pull weight after the return of their pistols.
I haven't sent my Competition Target in, as I'll buy another magazine and choose a sear with a much better finish.

bereta1

Bearcat
I haven't decided about the trigger and sear. I've already installed a new firing pin and extractor, that I purchased from you. I guess the next thing I'm going to have you do is smoothing and tuneup, replace disco parts, and, a metal detent. Thanks for your help.

Dennis,
FWIW, my post_recall sear looks identical to the ones in your photos. Working surface at the top is frosted like the rest of the part and shows no sign of any polishing or other work after it left the mold. That said, the weight of pull was essentially the same before as after. (I.e. just shy of 5 #) Unfortunately I don't have the original for comparison. Rob

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
It's very interesting to see all the various sear configurations that have been involved with the Ruger Mark IV in the short year they've been out. Volquartsen has three, my last count. I do not, as yet, have a "Majestic Arms" Mark IV sear, but it's a plan I have, to get one. But, the post recall sear sure is a "fugly" little devil.

As it stands right now, some combinations of sear/hammer/disco work very well, and then again........some combinations will have me reaching for the Crown Royal.

Hammers and hammer bushing combinations to defeat the magazine disco parts is another interesting endeavor. I've found that the plastic magazine "ejector" gizzy, will in some cases, hinder the magazine from clicking positively up, and into place, and sometimes, will drop the magazine after firing only three rounds. On my personal Mark IV Competition Target I removed the black plastic ejector and the magazines click more positively into the latch yet still shoot out of the grip frame just fine when the release is pressed.

For all those owners who just LUV your Mark IV just as it is, I salute you. Just keep in mind that there are some of us who, "just gots to KNOW". I don't expect any patience or understanding on anybody's part, just furnishing some info to ponder for those of you who like to tinker and personalize your Mark IV pistol.

bereta1

Bearcat
SGW Gunsmith said:
It's very interesting to see all the various sear configurations that have been involved with the Ruger Mark IV in the short year they've been out. Volquartsen has three, my last count. I do not, as yet, have a "Majestic Arms" Mark IV sear, but it's a plan I have, to get one. But, the post recall sear sure is a "fugly" little devil.

As it stands right now, some combinations of sear/hammer/disco work very well, and then again........some combinations will have me reaching for the Crown Royal.

Hammers and hammer bushing combinations to defeat the magazine disco parts is another interesting endeavor. I've found that the plastic magazine "ejector" gizzy, will in some cases, hinder the magazine from clicking positively up, and into place, and sometimes, will drop the magazine after firing only three rounds. On my personal Mark IV Competition Target I removed the black plastic ejector and the magazines click more positively into the latch yet still shoot out of the grip frame just fine when the release is pressed.

For all those owners who just LUV your Mark IV just as it is, I salute you. Just keep in mind that there are some of us who, "just gots to KNOW". I don't expect any patience or understanding on anybody's part, just furnishing some info to ponder for those of you who like to tinker and personalize your Mark IV pistol.

What's involved with "disco parts" ? Thanks, Garry

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
bereta1 said:
SGW Gunsmith said:

What's involved with "disco parts" ? Thanks, Garry

The disconnector ( trigger bar for some ) is another one of those internal parts that needs to be discovered as to how well they play with the sear. The factory disconnector ( disco ) works like it should with the factory sear. Question is: "How well does the factory sear work with the Volquartsen disco"? Volquartsen recommends that their disco and sear for the Ruger Mark IV work best when married up together. OK, I want to find out if that's the case.

Then, we have the Majestic Arms Ruger Mark IV kits. Majestic Arms uses a unique disco that helps to eliminate quite a bit of the pre-travel in the trigger. The only issue some folks may find is that the Majestic Arms disco needs to be fit to the sear, according to the manufacturer. If, for some reason, the sear is changed, you may need to acquire a new disco and fit that one to the desired sear now installed. Or, you may get lucky and a different combo of disco and installed sear may work just fine.

It seems to me, at least when aftermarket parts are involved with the Ruger Mark IV, the Ruger engineers tried their best to thwart any changes to this pistols design. That may be a bit arrogant on their part because there are quite a few ingenious folks on this forum and several others who don't accept the statement: "Well, that can't be done". There's a bunch of good folks at Volquartsen who've done pretty dang well by making parts that improve trigger pull weight, and function, on the Ruger Mark pistols, and several others who are working to get beyond these "bumps in the road" and improvement will indeed be realized.

And then, of course, there's always that small element of "dreamers" who choose to go way beyond anything practical. Here's a picture of a Ruger Mark II hammer that I was sent. The owner wanted to install "bearings" on each side of the hammer. I didn't even ask why, I just quoted him a price for the required "jig grinding" of the hardened hammer, and after payment, it was sent off to him. Never did hear how well it worked, or didn't.

q1jQBi0l.jpg

Haven't even started on triggers and hammers yet.

Not to confuse things, but maybe to help clarify an occasional misunderstanding.
Ref; "Disconnector";
When I hear the term I often wonder (maybe it's just me) if we're talking about the trigger to sear transfer bar or the other often played with doohickey that "disconnects" trigger from sear when a magazine is not in place.
On my own Mk. IV (your results may vary) I'm happier with the magazine disconnect gone. That said the factory disconnect "trigger to sear bar" works fine with my Majestic trigger and Mk.II (maybe) Volquartsen sear.
Will dig out my owners manual later this morning and provide correct Ruger terminology which should help to clear up my own confused mind, if no one elses. :shock:

Hard to blame a man for being a bit confused.
Ref: Mk. IV manual, 7/16,
Took me a while to realize that p. 31 and the top of 32 referenced the diagram on page 33 and Key No. 1-17 on p. 32 refer to the diagram on p.34.
That said, the diagram on p. 32 identifies both the mainspring housing and magazine disconnect as part no. 24.
The trigger to sear disconnector rod carries two #s, 8 and 9, indicating the "Rebound spring guide rod" and the "rebound spring" respectively. :mrgreen:
There may be other errors there, but I'm not going to worry about them!

Latest posts