Mark IV: (or any Mk) How long do extractors typically last?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

photographix

Bearcat
I got a Mk IV Hunter 11 months ago. I put about 200 rounds through it most weeks.

I had read the horror stories about the stock firing pins breaking and damaging the breech face, so I got a Volquartsen Bolt Tune-up Kit (firing pin and extractor claw) and put that in within the first month. Everything was fine until...

...at about 6 months or around 5000 rounds, the VQ extractor claw snapped in half. Had a devil of time getting it out, but got it out and put the factory extractor back in the bolt. Everything was fine until last week (now I'm at around 10,000 rounds), when I started getting stovepipes like crazy. Like 3 or 4 jams per 10 rounds. Very frustrating!

But then every once in a while, I would have 1 or 2 mags of ammo function flawlessly, then the next half dozen mags have jams again. During all this, I don't think it's an ammo problem. I've used MiniMags, Federal red box from WallyWorld, Aguila, Remington, and Winchester. Behavior is similar regardless of ammo.

Took it home, did some more online reading, thinking it was the mags that were giving me trouble. But working the bolt slowly by hand and watching the extractor under a magnifying glass, it appears that I have now worn out the factory extractor. Some of the time, it appears that the extractor won't hold the expended casing securely for the bolt to travel rearward far enough to make contact with the ejector pin.

I now have 2 Tandemkross extractors on order to see if that fixes it.

Sorry for the long post, but is anyone seeing similar extractor life in the Marks?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
photographix said:
I got a Mk IV Hunter 11 months ago. I put about 200 rounds through it most weeks.

I had read the horror stories about the stock firing pins breaking and damaging the breech face, so I got a Volquartsen Bolt Tune-up Kit (firing pin and extractor claw) and put that in within the first month. Everything was fine until...

...at about 6 months or around 5000 rounds, the VQ extractor claw snapped in half. Had a devil of time getting it out, but got it out and put the factory extractor back in the bolt. Everything was fine until last week (now I'm at around 10,000 rounds), when I started getting stovepipes like crazy. Like 3 or 4 jams per 10 rounds. Very frustrating!

Sorry for the long post, but is anyone seeing similar extractor life in the Marks?

There is a very GOOD reason that there are at least 6 aftermarket makers of replacement extractors for the Ruger Mark pistols. For years. the Ruger Mark pistol extractor cost $2.00 as a replacement part, now they cost around $4.00 plus shipping. I've replaced at least 250 Ruger Mark pistols extractors, going by the number of replacement extractors that I've ordered over the years, and either sold or installed here. These are some of the factory Ruger extractors that owners did NOT want sent back:
IIg5TvYl.jpg

These factory extractors are fraught with burrs and sharp, "roll-over" edges from the stamping process used during during the manufacturing process. Those edges and burrs not only rub against mating surfaces, they collect, and build up gunk that eventually will hinder the extractors ability to move outward and expel a spent case properly. Look closely at the extractors above and you will see how the off side ( bottom ) of these extractors have the burrs mentioned. Thus, stove-pipe cases will get pinched between the bolt face and the breech face, especially when the gunk gets packed in the spring and plunger hole.
The extractors in the picture above were found in Ruger Mark pistols where the owner used their guns regularly, no "safe queens" were involved. That was easily determined from other signs of use that were quite obvious.

qjr7Vjfl.jpg

I have literally tested every aftermarket extractor sold by all of those who sell 'em. One outfit only buys and then resells an extractor sold by a 'real' manufacturer, which was found out by the testing done here.
I now only use, stock and recommend one brand of extractor and it has shown very impressive performance over the extensive time that I've been using these. If any new type extractors become available, I'll surely test those objectively and if they produce excellent service, I'll stock those.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
1gunsnotenough said:
I know in my Mark IIs I have never worn one out.
My Gov't Target has thousands of rounds on it wil no problems.
I guess you and I are the luckiest people on the Earth. I just sold a Mk-II
that I bought . . . well . . . used for my students to use. Can't tell you how
many rounds went through it before and during my ownership. I also have
a Government Target that has um-teen thousand rounds down range. ALL
with zero problems.

My guess is that Ruger is experiencing a QC issue (they do, from time to
time). But then again, when I do a detail strip of any of my guns I check
for burrs, nicks, heavy scratches, etc. . . . I'm of the opinion that doing so
helps with longevity of the action.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger buys these "stampings" from supply chain machine shops, one in Phoenix uses a roller stamping process which produces thousands in an hour or two (and a corresponding rise in burrs and other flaws). While the company has moved to an assembly and test model on most models, they have not stepped up the receiving inspection processes unfortunately. It is more cost effective to replace when a customer returns a gun.

Aftermarket makers will be the answer (until they cut corners - oops, I mean improving revenue margin).

USAFA71

Bearcat
Just checked my log- mine works fine after 24,850 rds. If it breaks the next time I shoot it, I am blaming you!

photographix

Bearcat
Thanks, everyone. I'm jealous of you that haven't had an extractor go south after many thousands of rounds.

SGW Gunsmith: I'll give your extractor a try if the TK ones don't work out.

woodsy

Blackhawk
The original extractor in my Mark 1 (1972 vintage) is still going strong after more than 50,000 rounds.

My unmodified Mark IV only has about 5000 rounds through it, my unmodified Mark II had over 20,000 rounds through it when I sold it. Both guns work(ed) flawlessly, I've said many times here that I must be living right because I shoot the poo out of all of my guns and I've never had a failure. My only call to Ruger was when I launched a plunger spring into another dimension, they sent me a pack of springs...for free.

TxGun

Bearcat
Personally, I've never had to replace an extractor or a FP in 7 MK IIs and 4 MK IIIs. Not sure how many rounds have been through the guns, but certainly many, many thousands and they all work more or less flawlessly. We have friends and family out to our place often and the MKs are popular for targets and occasional squirrel hunting.

I also have never had one wear out, but I have received new guns from the factory that needed a little trimming and smoothing to the extractor to make them work correctly. Once there, they last forever.

Very good pictures SGW' and from what we see , appears NONE of those were ever "fitted" properly or at all, but just "dropped in the guns.....hmmmmm

if fitted and installed properly, they can work just fine....still use the factory ones today if ( and seldom) needed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,have seen many NEW ones that the extractor will rub, stick, drag and hang up with out putting in a shell, and with a shell in, NOT even catch the rim......not happy with what we "see" on some of the new MK IVs we've looked at or folks bring over....I'm sticking with the MK I's and II's....still hard to beat 8)

glad to be "retired and sit back and 'observe'........... :roll: :wink:

45flattop

Single-Sixer
The original extractor in my RST-4 (vintage 1967) is still going strong after over
50,000+ rounds, a MKII Stainless Target with over 20,000 through it, and a MKII
Competiton Target(KMK678GC) with around 20,000 down its barrel have all been
flawless, no a single FTE, FTF aside from one original magazine in the RST-4 that
finally suffered a soft magazine sp.ring that caused a feed failure on just one round.
Suppled a replacement magazine and all was good to go, replaced that spring and
that same A54 magazine is still going strong.

contender

Ruger Guru
Put me in the category of folks who own a few of the MK series guns w/o any extractor failures. I have a MKI bull bbl, a MKII Comp Target, a MK II & MKIII in 4" bbls that have all had over 10,000 rounds each. I use them for classes etc, and daily carry in my truck.
BUT,, I do know "stuff happens," so each person has their own experiences.

Coop

Blackhawk
contender said:
Put me in the category of folks who own a few of the MK series guns w/o any extractor failures. I have a MKI bull bbl, a MKII Comp Target, a MK II & MKIII in 4" bbls that have all had over 10,000 rounds each. I use them for classes etc, and daily carry in my truck.
BUT,, I do know "stuff happens," so each person has their own experiences.

Me too. I have three MKII pistols, each of which have 5+ figures of rounds thru them with nary a problem.

tells me that more time? care or fit, was done in the earlier guns..........got 3 MK II stainless target and competition models sitting here now and the fit and function of the extractors is spot on........
maybe the supplier of todays "pieces/parts" is NOT doing their job??????

45flattop

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
tells me that more time? care or fit, was done in the earlier guns..........got 3 MK II stainless target and competition models sitting here now and the fit and function of the extractors is spot on........

Could well be, since the last member of the Ruger family surviving in the company
has passed away, we've seen a lot of QC go south, not to mention the proliferation of the plastic fantastic pistols and such that do NOT impress me a bit.

If I have this straight, the OP modified his gun, one of the aftermarket parts failed, he then replaced the failed part with the OEM part but left other aftermarket parts in his modified gun. Could someone please explain to me how that's a Ruger QC issue?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
45flattop said:
rugerguy said:

Could well be, since the last member of the Ruger family surviving in the company
has passed away, we've seen a lot of QC go south,
not to mention the proliferation of the plastic fantastic pistols and such that do NOT impress me a bit.

Can't argue with that note! No doubt some folks have had superb luck with the factory extractors, but that doesn't discount those that have NOT, or those who prefer to have much better performance, with especially the one brand that I prefer.
Front hook design on the Ruger extractor is lacking as opposed to a couple of the aftermarket designs that have a more positive outlook toward extraction, even from a dirty chamber.
Ruger factory extractors have doubled in price lately, to around $4.00 these days, but, the aftermarket extractors remain the same at around $10.00. I used to try and make the Ruger "sow's ear" extractors work better, but for the worthwhile cost of only $10.00 for a much better thought out design, my time is well spent elsewhere. This particular extractor flings spent brass 10 to 12 feet to the right, while some of the factory Ruger extractors have spent cases dribbling out of the chamber.
I've seen this on many, many Rugers that get used on a regular basis, and not just one or two guns that get fired occasionally, or those that languish in a safe and NEVER see a round of .22 rimfire.

photographix

Bearcat
Just an update to my original post:

After I took out the worn out OEM extractor and replaced it with the TK one several days ago (sorry I didn't see your posts before ordering them, SGW Gunsmith), I have been to the range twice.

First trip to the range after the replacement, I obviously saw improved performance, but not what I would consider on par with others' here that have been running factory extractors for decades. Out of 200 rounds, I probably had about 6 or 7 fail-to-ejects using Aguila. Heavy sigh.

Today, I went through another 200 rounds with exactly one FTE. It performed flawlessly with 100 rounds of Aguila from the same brick as before, followed by 94 rounds of American Eagle, where then another stovepipe occurred. After clearing, the gun ran fine for the next 6 rounds, and then I was out of quarters and time to go to lunch with my buddy.

Yes, I know .22 ammo isn't 100% reliable, is inexpensive, and often dirty. But I'm pleased that I got 99.5% reliability after what I would consider a break-in session last week. I had a lot more fun at the range this week than last.