Mark IV - Blued or SS .. ( and other questions )

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MarkLH

Bearcat
Hi Everyone,

New shooter here.. I just recently got the bug to plink/ target shoot. I've had a few outings at an indoor range using my father's single six.

and I've shot a few magazines through a friend's S&W Victory with a red dot sight, and he has a Ruger Mark II SS with the 6.875" barrel.

With the Single Six.. I hit the target < LOL > but not too accurate. My tired old eyes have a bit of trouble with iron sights.

With the Victory < w/ Red Dot > my groupings were really tight, then I shot the Ruger Mark II with Iron sights < long barrel > and again: Man! .. nice tight groupings !

I've held the Mark IV Target, grip feels better in my hand than the 22/45.

and I read how: the Mark IV Hunter has longer barrel ( similar to the Mark II I shot ) and it has an optic front sight.

<lots of > Questions:
Target model: Blued or SS . I actually like the looks of the Blued model fine, and of course the SS is like a tuxedo - looks fantastic. But it's $100 more. Is there a good reason to pay the Xtra for the SS re: down the road re: performance, longevity, etc. - or is it pretty much just looks ?

Target or Hunter. Since I'm thinking I'm going to be utilizing a Red Dot - or at least try ie. HiViz front optic .. is the barrel length ( 5.5" versus 6.875" ) rendered kind of moot - as the optic sight or RDot will give me great accuracy ? .. or does the longer barrel / sight picture really provide an advantage re: Accuracy .

If I went SS Target + Hi Viz.. then I'm getting pretty close to the Hunter ( as far as $$ goes ..

I know others can't decide for me..

Suggestions welcome .. ! Tnx!

Mark

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Well, if you look at your own questions,,, you can see a direction to get your answers.
In the first question,,, you ask about the $ difference, and if it's worth it. Well, stainless generally requires less maintenance in the long run, with less of a chance of rusting etc.
Both will PERFORM equally. so it's your money, you decide.

Your second question, the barrel length. A LOT has to do with how it feels in YOUR hands. A red dot can improve groups for older, aging eyes. (Don't ask how I know that.) Only your hands can tell you how one will perform over the other.
Just last night, I had a friend over,,, who owns a pair of MKII Rugers. He asked a question about the different models,,,, and we drug out a few "others." He found my Standard Auto quite nice,,, yet he also enjoyed the 22/45 in 4" bull barrel. He was a bit surprised by the way they felt. He's now considering expanding his stable of the MK series.

So, basically,, a lot depends upon how YOU feel and what YOUR pocketbook allows. Just remember,,, if your choices are to be limited,,, don't try & cheap out or "settle" for anything less that what YOU like.

Contender has summed it up nicely, I can tell you that I added a Hiviz sight and an Altamont grip to my Target Model...it's all very personal.

captain-america-albums-stuff-picture13709-img-0513-1.jpg

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
MarkLH said:
Hi Everyone,

New shooter here.. I just recently got the bug to plink/ target shoot. I've had a few outings at an indoor range using my father's single six.

and I've shot a few magazines through a friend's S&W Victory with a red dot sight, and he has a Ruger Mark II SS with the 6.875" barrel.

With the Single Six.. I hit the target < LOL > but not too accurate. My tired old eyes have a bit of trouble with iron sights.

With the Victory < w/ Red Dot > my groupings were really tight, then I shot the Ruger Mark II with Iron sights < long barrel > and again: Man! .. nice tight groupings !

I've held the Mark IV Target, grip feels better in my hand than the 22/45.

and I read how: the Mark IV Hunter has longer barrel ( similar to the Mark II I shot ) and it has an optic front sight.

<lots of > Questions:
Target model: Blued or SS . I actually like the looks of the Blued model fine, and of course the SS is like a tuxedo - looks fantastic. But it's $100 more. Is there a good reason to pay the Xtra for the SS re: down the road re: performance, longevity, etc. - or is it pretty much just looks ?

Target or Hunter. Since I'm thinking I'm going to be utilizing a Red Dot - or at least try ie. HiViz front optic .. is the barrel length ( 5.5" versus 6.875" ) rendered kind of moot - as the optic sight or RDot will give me great accuracy ? .. or does the longer barrel / sight picture really provide an advantage re: Accuracy .

If I went SS Target + Hi Viz.. then I'm getting pretty close to the Hunter ( as far as $$ goes ..

I know others can't decide for me..

Suggestions welcome .. ! Tnx!

Mark

You bring up some excellent questions. When I get a customer who purchases a new handgun of any sort, my advice is to shoot that pistol for several hundred rounds. That will give you somewhat of an idea as to what you really like, or want to change, about that set-up.
You will find that the recommendations that suit the needs of others, may not always work for you.
The normal Ruger sights can be quite tough to deal with. Black on black sights against a black target bullseye, doesn't provide, at least for some folks, a very good sight picture. Many have found that fiber optic sights work great outdoors, but not so much indoors with ambient light. A red-dot optic does work very well for many of us "boomers" who are now experiencing the need for eyeball assistance when shooting. So, if a red-dot is on the list, barrel length doesn't really matter much, except for a slight velocity difference.

I've been doing this with quite a few Ruger pistols these days, and the insert works very well, even in dim lighting conditions, and works even better when the rear sight blade notch is outlined in white.

cqV4KMSm.jpg

MarkLH

Bearcat
Thanks for the sage advice .. .. ! I handled the Target Blued, SS, and the Hunter. - not at the range - just at the store for a few minutes at the gun counter .. the Target size.. feels better < to me > than the longer barrel. and indeed: the SS was a tad heavier - where: only some range time can inform me which is better < for me > .

Accuracy is my goal at this point and as noted: I'd rather work my budget to get what I prefer and figure it'll be a commitment that I'll have for many years .. rather than trial and error - where buying and selling guns is a hassle and means suffering a loss $ each time a gun comes and goes .. I won't let $100 sway me versus: get the right one .
I'll have to see if I can get some time in the saddle - and shoot them I'd like to have proficiency with sights- even if optics are involved - versus having to absolutely RELY on a Red Dot. That would suggest to me a little longer barrel would be of value ( ie. at least 5.5" - Target ) .. versus a Tactical with the 4.5" barrel ..

Without range time: for now.. my hunch is the Target model with some front sight upgrade, and trying a Red Dot. as far as: Blued / SS ? .. Both look so nice.. Captain America: The Blued Target with Altamonts and HiViz - looks AWESOME .. I really like it. and: the SS is gorgeous too .. :cool:

A comment in another forum, where: the person was jaded re: The whole Mark IV series with: first the safety recall. and now apparently there is some noise of firing pin breakage problems. - indicating Ruger shoved this product out the door a little early .. I'm not in a hurry.. while I'm certainly drawn to the Ruger, .. in part based on their sterling reputation re: reliability and dependability .. ( and they charge a premium $ for this ) .. I'll at least spend some time considering BuckMark and Victory .. and in the long run .. I know I won't have just ONE gun .. so maybe it's a process that includes numerous toys ... :cool:

MarkLH

Bearcat
FYI.. got a new Mark IV Target .. Blued .. got a very good price at a local retailer.. which leaves room $ for accessories, ammo, etc. !

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
MarkLH said:
FYI.. got a new Mark IV Target .. Blued .. got a very good price at a
local retailer.. which leaves room $ for accessories, ammo, etc. !
Sounds great!

I was going to suggest something for the front sight, but SGW beat me
to it. I like the florescent paint on the front sight. It makes the sight itself
stand out better, no matter what the light conditions. In addition, you can
find it in green, red, and a few other colors. That can be helpful if you
have any problems with a given color.

I prefer the two part (white undercoat and then the florescent paint). It
tends to make the image more precise (for lack of a better word).

Have fun, shoot safe, and buy ammo every time it's on sale. 8)

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Stainless steel has an advantage as a field gun in that it is less likely to rust or stain. But that is not a necessity. Proper care of blue steel can prevent rust too. My Mark IV Hunter is stainless and Mark IV Standard is blue steel. They both work just fine.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I love my Hunter with the 6 7/8 inch barrel but I often opt for my mark IV 22/45 Lite when it's time for shooting Steel Challenge matches. The Hunter is a little on the heavy side for me. I do have C-More Red dot sights on both guns. So, there is no advantage or disadvantage except for the weight.

The 22/45 is bronze and is nice and is easy to keep clean. The Hunter is Stainless and only takes and oiled rag to keep it nice and clean.