Mark III Target with "Canted" Front Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dave1911

Bearcat
I just came across a Mark III Target Stainless with a Hi Viz fiber optic front sight. The gun shoots right. Upon closer inspection the rear sight windage is all the way left and it appears the front sight is canted to the left of center. The rear sight is a V shape blade inside the adjustable target sight. I am thinking four possibilities

1) I read somewhere that there were a bad run of Hi Viz sights. I have contacted Hi Viz to see what they think

2) Upon removing the front sight it appears the front sight tapped hole is also canted to the left. Is that normal? Is that hole supposed to be perfect down the center line.

3) The V notch is a difficult sight picture with everything off center. Thinking a square notch blade may be easier to use if off center.

4) Also thinking of just picking up the normal target front sight to see if it installs more down the center line.

Thoughts. Thanks.

Dave1911

Bearcat
Yeah. I was thinking that too. This Sunday is not the day to do my first take down of a Mark III. I put 100 flawless rounds thru it. It feeds and operates as it should and better than my Buckmark at least so far. So I am assuming everything is put together and clocked correctly given that.

I am going to spend $20 on a new front sight and a square rear notch blade and go from there.

dusty3030

Bearcat
IF the barrel is clocked correctly and the front sight holes are drilled askew, that would be a good candidate to have threaded and the front sight set back (new holes drilled and tapped). Adco will do it for $140.
You might not ever get a suppressor but it makes the gun more valuable to trade or sell to someone who does and would fix the front sight issue at the same time.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew2016.cfm?code=Barrel%20Threading

I had a SP 101 .22 that had the same problem. When I zeroed it in the rear sight blade was almost 1/16th" outside the base to the right. When I looked hard at the muzzle (unloaded, of course) it looked like the front sight was canted maybe 1 to 2 degrees to the right. I contacted Ruger and they sent me a label to return it. Got it back in a couple of weeks, the the rear sight blade was centered in the base and they included two test targets.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I had a skewed rear sight on my Mark III Competition. I called Ruger and over Christmas they had the Pistol 10 day's then it was back in my hands. No problems. They paid shipping and the Pistol was perfect when I got it back.

I would call Ruger, quit messing around with it and they will make it right. I really like the V-Notch rear sight and the Hi-Viz front sight that I put on my Competition.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Dave1911

Bearcat
Ruger is sending my dealer a new gun. They concurred the tapped hole was drilled off center.