Mark III problem - hammer won't lock in place

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Phoenix Maximus

Bearcat
just bought a used Mark III, seemed to work great, but before I realized what a pain they can be, I got curious and pulled the latch out and up, not out of the gun, just out and swung up. now I have it back together but the latch won't go further than an inch or too and when you cock the gun there's no click, doesn't seem like the hammer is locking. Also the slide release all the sudden is less than reliable, with me needing to push the slide in before it connects.

any ideas??? really hoping I didn't break my christmas present a month before christmas :(

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Go to the Ruger website and download the instruction manual/disassembly reassembly instructions.
The instructions will tell you that the hammer strut is not in the correct position. Open the latch, swing the mainspring assembly out (but do not pull it down and out), make sure the hammer is in the fired position, point the muzzle of the gun up and swing the mainspring assembly back into position. I think you should feel a little resistance the last quarter inch or so. Close the latch and you're done.

I've got a Mark II and every time I take it apart, I have to re-read the instructions for reassembly. They can be finicky, and from what I've heard, the Mark III is more difficult.

zenbiker

Bearcat
If you follow the instructions VERY CAREFULLY, step by step, on the website that actionfiles has posted you will be rewarded. Take the gun apart and re-assemble ten times in succession and you will find it is one of the easiest procedures for a semi-auto of any gun. The whole trick is the hammer strut and it's no big deal once you understand.
Don't be intimidated....it's easy.

Latest posts