mark III failure to lock bolt back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ral3

Bearcat
I have a mark III that fails to lock the bolt back when the last shot is fired - i have to manually pull the bolt back to proceed - tried different ammo no change - i have had this gun for quite some time and have fired many rounds thru it but this just started to be a problem - i take down and clean after every trip to the range

any idea where to look?

REB

Single-Sixer
The top of the bolt stop could be rounded off. Place an empty mag in the pistol, pull the bolt all the way back and let it go. It the bolt jumps the stop then your bolt stop is worn.

I recently had this issue on one of my MKII 22/45s. I filed the top of the bolt stop back a little to get rid of the rounded point and it has solved the problem for now. You can buy a new bolt stop pretty cheap for the MKIII but unfortunately not the MKII 22/45.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
ral3 said:
I have a mark III that fails to lock the bolt back when the last shot is fired - i have to manually pull the bolt back to proceed - tried different ammo no change - i have had this gun for quite some time and have fired many rounds thru it but this just started to be a problem - i take down and clean after every trip to the range

any idea where to look?

Sounds like you've been using the bolt stop thumb piece as a "bolt release". Were you doing that? Take a look at the upper corner of the bolt stop. If that corner is rounded over, you need to get that end flat once again. These parts are very hard, so if you can use a stationary belt sander, you can get that end flat and working properly again.

ral3

Bearcat
yes i have used the thumb release for the bolt and yes the corner of the bolt stop had damage - i will fix - both answers seem to agree on the area to look into - thanks very much - i will let you know the results

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
REB said:
The top of the bolt stop could be rounded off. Place an empty mag in the pistol, pull the bolt all the way back and let it go. It the bolt jumps the stop then your bolt stop is worn.

I recently had this issue on one of my MKII 22/45s. I filed the top of the bolt stop back a little to get rid of the rounded point and it has solved the problem for now. You can buy a new bolt stop pretty cheap for the MKIII but unfortunately not the MKII 22/45.

REB,

Take a look at this picture. The top bolt stop assembly is out of a Ruger 22/45 pistol. The bottom picture is new inventory for the Ruger Mark III 22/45.

Never mind. The front tab on the 22/45 bolt stop assembly is bent a bit different and goes in further. I tried the Mark III bolt stop assembly and it won't work.

REB

Single-Sixer
From what I have been told you can modify the MKII 22/45 grip frame to accept the MKIII 22/45 bolt stop. I haven't tried it.

I have thought about ordering one anyway and seeing if I can modify the bolt stop. I have a used MKII 22/45 that the bolt stop was pretty badly worn. I reshaped it with a small file and it has been working correctly for several hundred rounds so far with no sign of new damage.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
REB said:
From what I have been told you can modify the MKII 22/45 grip frame to accept the MKIII 22/45 bolt stop. I haven't tried it.

I have thought about ordering one anyway and seeing if I can modify the bolt stop. I have a used MKII 22/45 that the bolt stop was pretty badly worn. I reshaped it with a small file and it has been working correctly for several hundred rounds so far with no sign of new damage.

If you do decide to try that, I stock these bolt stop assemblies, and will have shipping much less than what Ruger charges. [email protected]

ral3

Bearcat
i replaced the bolt stop and all is good - thanks for your help

"i take down and clean after every trip to the range"

IMHO
There is absolutely no need for this cleaning schedule. I wouldn't tell you not to do so but I will tell you it's not necessary.