Mark III Customizations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CZReverend

Bearcat
I have a new Ruger Mark III 5.5 bull barrel, stainless steel gun I bought to be my customizer. I am looking at adding a red dot, some rubber grips, and to improve the trigger pull.

Where do you shop for your accessories?

Who makes good rubber grips to fit the Mark III and where can I find them?

Is the complete trigger swap out worth the extra money vs just the Volq. hammer?

What red dot do you have on yours, where can I find them online? Which brands should I stay away from? Thanks!

Geezer

Single-Sixer
The VQ sear does wonders for the trigger pull. The VQ trigger allows you to adjust pre and over travel.

After you get the trigger pull that you want, the best thing that you can do is get rid of the magazine disconnect. While you have it apart putting in the sear, replace the disconnect with a MK II hammer bushing.

Wobble

Bearcat
Can't help with the grips or VQ trigger but I have a Bushnell Trophy red dot which I can recommend. It's the model that has 4 different reticles. It's sturdy, bright, easy to mount, and works great. I bought mine on Amazon. They had the best price at the time.

kscott

Single-Sixer
CZ,
I've got a set of the hogue with the thumbrests rubber grips. I really like them a lot. I don't know if youi're a thumbrest fan or not, but they have a set without the thumbrest also. I actually got them off of ebay (gasp) for pretty cheap.

billbeamon

Bearcat
I have a MKIII/4 tapered barrel, blue that I have:
-opened up the bolt holes juat a bit to aid pin reinsertion, reduced the tit on the recoil spring...
-Dremeled under the mounting foot on the frame to aid disassembly...
-removed the loaded chamber indicator and filled the slot...
-removed mag safety feature- washers or MKII bushing will work- note VQ bushing is oversized for stock hammer...
-added trigger preset and limit screws in the frame
( http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/pretravel.htm)...
-added LPA TPU22RU18 rear sight. You will need small wedge files to fit
-tried the Majestic Arms Quick Strip with two piece bolt and rounded hammer- found the hammer only contacted the lower 20% part of the firing pin and found the lower part of the bolt screw would tilt with hammer spring tension such you could not replace the upper part- it wanted to crossthread. Probably helped by my opening up the holes. Removed the Quick Strip....
- now waiting for new VQ hammer and firing pin...
I'm thinking I should have just bought a MKII...

billbeamon

Bearcat
one more....
- I removed the pin which captures the long tail of the sear spring. That's the pin which the hammer strut always wants to hang up on. Using a 1/4 by 1 in piece of brass shim stock, fold it over and make a small tube to capture the spring tail. Slide the rest under the edge and spot in place with a blob of solder. It will not interfere with the magazine and can be slid up and down to grab the spring.

billbeamon

Bearcat
Last one-
- I drilled a hole in the top of the bolt pin so I could insert a hex key or small philips to wiggle the pin past the recoil spring fixture and into the upper hole on the receiver. It helps, particularly if the holes have been relaxed.