Mark II vs. Mark IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Claims Rep.

Single-Sixer
Other than the breakdown of the IV being better, is there any other reason why I would want to buy a IV over a II? I've got an opportunity to get a 10" bull barrel stainless Mark II at a decent price, and figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks.

Depends on what the "decent" price is? I would lean towards the Mark II if it's in excellent condition.

I don't own Mark III or IV's. But if I were to get a Mark IV, it would be a stainless model of some sort. I prefer steel and it's the only version that uses a steel grip frame.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I . . . HAD . . . a MK-II in 10" bull, that I have not seen since getting to AZ.
I had already decided to cut it to 6" and thread it for a muffler, but I can't
find it. SIGH.

The reason I was going to shorten it is the 10" makes the gun perceptibly
barrel heavy, for me. A 6-7/8ths is, for me, perfect. :wink: (IMO)

You will never go wrong with a good condition MK-II 8)

Pat-inCO said:
I . . . HAD . . . a MK-II in 10" bull, that I have not seen since getting to AZ.
I had already decided to cut it to 6" and thread it for a muffler, but I can't
find it. SIGH.

The reason I was going to shorten it is the 10" makes the gun perceptibly
barrel heavy, for me. A 6-7/8ths is, for me, perfect. :wink: (IMO)

You will never go wrong with a good condition MK-II 8)

And this is why the original Mark I came with a 6-7/8" medium taper barrel, perfectly balanced.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted, the ease of take down is one consideration, and if you have no issues with re-assembly,, then the only other real thing is, as noted the mag release position. I have MKII's with an aftermarket thumb release,, and find them quite nice.

If the price is good,, I'd say go for the MKII because they aren't making any more of them,, and the MKIV is current production.

I don't have a IV nor do I see the need for that model. I do have two Mk 3 22/45 and can't say they're real whiz-bangs unless you want to spend more for the "upgrades" to Mk 2 parts. Seems like going backward to me.
For Pat-in-CO, I would suggest looking for a 4" factory threaded barrel MK3 for your host. The 6" will end up being extremely muzzle heavy with the addition of the muffler and you won't see much/any increased performance. In fact, the 4" with standard velocity ammo will be more likely to stay sub-sonic than a 6" giving more options on ammo selection.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
MKIV so easy to mess with. Sort of like an AR lower & upper concept. Volquartsen sells various take-off uppers for a more than decent price. 1 lower, and a bunch of uppers allows a lot of variety cheap. Standard, target, hunter, lite, tactical-all these uppers I have seen for sale over the past couple of years on their web site. Of course just like any MK you can upgrade all the controls and guts. I sold my 1 and only MKII NIB soon after the MKIV started showing up.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Rocdoc said:
I sold my 1 and only MKII NIB soon after the MKIV started showing up.

I also sold a MkII and MKIII after I got my first MkIV. I've seen ended up with another MKII and MKIII because the price was right, but I'm just as happy with the MKIV and now have a couple of those as well. :)

Claims Rep.

Single-Sixer
I went to the range today with a buddy who owns several of the Mark series. Shot a ii and three different iv's. Without a doubt, I'll be buying either a Mark IV Target 10" stainless #40174, or a Mark IV Hunter 6.88" stainless, fluted #40118. I really enjoyed shooting those. Great guns.

jimd441

Blackhawk
One obvious advantage of the Mark IVs os that you can buy them new. Unless you get really lucky, any previous version will be used.

Jim

fallsinhole

Bearcat
I have all four MK pistols models, each has it's own differences, however my favorite is the MK II. Remember well the introduction of the first model in 1949 and wanted one badly, however the funds were tight in those days! Now many years have passed and increased funds have made me a happy MK owner!!

RSIno1

Hunter
I see no reason to upgrade from my 52 y old Standard. It does everything I need it to and on the rare occasion I give it the deluxe clean I don't find it to difficult to get back together.

Azrael

Bearcat
"I see no reason to upgrade from my 52 y old Standard. It does everything I need it to and on the rare occasion I give it the deluxe clean I don't find it to difficult to get back together."

I have to agree! My 1968 Standard still does everything a .22 should do !

Never was sure of the need for the "pushbutton" mag release on a .22 auto. Does anyone need to change magazines fast on a .22?

I can see wanting that feature on a pistol being used to practice for a 1911 combat shooting, But the rest of a Ruger--balance, ergonomics, cocking etc--is so different from a 1911 that I would think a 1911 conversion kit would be much more useful for that.

As for the MKI and II takedown, I think that's been covered a zillion times, and I have only one word on it. YouTube. (Some great things just ain't "convenient"! Most things that are just convenient ain't great).