Mark II Slide Frozen Back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Just be sure to use a protected surface so if the receiver drops off the frame it doesn't get scratched.

R,
Bullseye

louiethelump

Buckeye
Make sure magazine is out for bolt removal and for upper receiver removal. I have fogotten the magazine in the past and wondered why it would not come apart.

the carpet remnant 'trick' still works for removing the upper, off the grip frame, good points above, make sure the mag is out!!! and of course the mainspring and bolt stop obviously.......as Bullseye said you can remove the upper with the bolt in if its "stuck" I agree sounds more like the recoil spring assembly, at the top of the bolt,LOOK for the marks on the inside of the receiver tube (upper) when you get it all apart..........been doing LOTS of yard work ,took out some trees and ground them all up all day..........away from the 'puter'...........................

Kobra-428

Bearcat
Okay, tried to post this yesterday but the site was down. The Mark II has been repaired!

Thanks to the advice here I was able to remove the barrel assembly (with bolt inside) from the receiver. In doing so I saw no signs of metal shavings or anything else that looked wrong. But I was able to get a better feel for the "gritty" feeling when I moved the bolt. It now felt more like a spring being dragged over something. Based on that I figured I'd check an incredibly easy and cheap fix: the little screws for the sight rail on the top of the barrel assembly. I removed the third one back and what do you know, the bolt popped right out! I assumed these holes were blind to prevent such an issue, but obviously I was wrong! 8) That one little screw somehow managed to work its way into the recoil spring just far enough to lock everything up. I wish I had thought of that earlier, but honestly I have to say I love the fact that it was such a simple (and CHEAP!!!!) fix! Now that I was able to get the bolt out I saw that the floor smashing thing that first moved the bolt damaged the recoil spring where that screw was locked onto it, but no worries, a new spring assembly is on its way from Ruger, along with some other rebuild parts (over 10,000 rounds fired through it, I guess it's time to spend all of $16 to ensure proper functioning in the future!).

So there it is, a tiny little screw with a mind of its own caused all of this. Ha!

Thanks again all for your input, it's been much appreciated! :D

good for you to 'solve' the porblem, and as I said on the first reply tought to "see" the gun when its not in front of you or even a picture, OBVIOUSLY now that you say a scope (optic) base/mount is on the gun, this is the first thing to look at, happens ALL the time ,more often on rifles and one uses too long of a screw OR even 'locktites' the screws, as well as the bolt "in place".....$#it happens........

Kobra-428

Bearcat
Actually the screw was the "filler" that came from the factory (the tiny screws that ensure junk doesn't get into the receiver), I haven't ever mounted a scope or scope mount yet. Honestly I've never even touched any of those screws as I've had no need. Live and learn!

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Good to hear you found the problem. I'm glad the fix was relatively simple. If you want you can use thread locker sealant to hold those blank-off screws. Be sure to use it when the bolt is out to prevent any seepage from locking the bolt into the receiver. Once cured, you can reinstall everything without any problems later. Much better to solve yourself rather than go through all the steps to send it back to the factory for repairs.

R,
Bullseye

hink

Bearcat
Sounds like a broken bolt stop pin to me. (the part of the mainspring assy that goes up through the opening in the bolt) I have seen a couple of those break and this of course locks the gun up.

My advice would be to send it to Ruger.
I have a Mark I with a bolt stop pin that broke right at the shoulder to the mainspring housing link (too short a radius?). The bolt didn't do anything weird - just found it when stripping to clean: mainspring housing came out, BSP stayed put (visible atop receiver). Does Ruger want it for post-mortem? Should I replace whole mainspring housing/BSP or just BSP?

wproct

Single-Sixer
First, in all the years I have owned and shot MKII Ruger semi-autos, I have never experienced this problem. Just brain storming here, can you tell if the ejector is firmly riveted in place and not come loose and jamming things up? Again, I am just racking my mind for possible causes.