Mark II disassembly problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kcode

Bearcat
I've had my Mark II since the early 80's and never had this problem before, it was in dire need of a good cleaning today, while breaking it down the mainspring housing froze up and will not move. I can move the bolt stop pin back up into the receiver and it still will not allow the spring housing to pivot up. Any suggestions on what has locked it up? Thanks for any information you might have.

Mike in Kentucky

381292477.jpg

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Your hammer is partially cocked. You should squeeze the trigger, and hold it, while closing the mainspring housing. By holding the trigger to the rear the hammer is able to go fully forward under mainspring tension.

Take a look at my fieldstripping procedures http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm Step #6 has a caution in it which relates to your problem.

R,
Bullseye

kcode

Bearcat
Thanks Bullseye, I finally removed the mainspring housing. This pistol has had many rounds through it over the years. There is alot of wear to the internal parts. What I think happened is that either the hammer or the linkage bar that compresses the mainspring was bound up against the mainspring housing. Whatever the problem was, It is apart and due for massive cleaning before putting back together. Thanks again.

Mike in Kentucky

billbeamon

Bearcat
If you replace the pin that holds the sear spring tail with a small #6 stainless cotterpin, The hammer strut will no longer get hung up on that sear pin. The grips will hold the cotter pin ears, but you will have to trim them to fit. It works for me on my MKIII and MKII.
Bill

SAJohn

Hunter
Bill, That sounds like a good tip.

I have a stainless MK II which will not reassemble according to the book procedures. In the final step the barrel is pointed vertical - then I have to lower mine to about 30 deg from horizontal before the mainspring and the hammer strut self align when closing the mainspring housing.

kcode

Bearcat
After a thorough cleaning and a little lubrication, it all went back together very easily, almost too easy. Everything functions fine.