mark 3 broken after reassembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jarhead995

Bearcat
So I went to the range got home and decided to clean it. I fired approximately 450 rounds. I watched the videos pulled the lever on the back, pulled out the pin, pulled out the bolt, and used a mallet to get the barrel off. So I clean it and go to put it back together. I put the metal piece that looks like a piece of cheese down and slid the barrel assembly and bolt back on. I used a screwdriver and pushed the "cheese" back up while pulling the trigger then lastly I let that metal piece hand down and stuck the pin back in.

Now the bolt gets stuck halfway, while pulling it back, and pushing it forward,
the magazine is hard to get in and out, and the pin and handle on the back are stuck and wont come out.

P.S. the bolt doesn't get stuck when the pin and handle thing is as far out as it can go

Photoon2009-10-10at19322.jpg

THIS IS AS FAR AS IT WILL COME OUT
Photoon2009-10-10at1932.jpg

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
My suggestion would be to follow the directions in the owners manual.

I have never needed a screwdriver to put my MKII back together.

You must make sure to tilt the handgun forward and backwards at the correct times, and also you have to pull the trigger a time or two with the magazine inserted (making sure that no ammunition is in the magazine or handgun).

Charlie

GhosT

Blackhawk
jarhead995...
First, thanks for yer service!

Second,
Read yer post and felt yer pain...lol
Own a MARK 2...,.22/45 no problems with.

But not answering yer post to be a smartass,got a suggestion.
Contact Ruger,when they switch you to the gun adviser...share with him the link to this thread
Your pics and story here might help him figure out the problem!

Odds are will talk ya through it.

Best of luck wished...
GhosT

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Jiggle the pin and bolt until it comes out, then start all over again. What you describe, sounds like the hammer and tang are not in the correct position when you're putting the bolt pin in place. Both the hammer @ tang (thin piece of metal that flops into the hammer) must be all the way up. To do this, put in a magazine, squeeze the trigger, and turn the hammer into the un-cocked position; all the way up, and the tang too. Then put in the bolt stop pin till it snaps in; don't close the it all the way until you turn the grip down so the tang falls in to the space in the bolt.
Now close the locking device, it should feel springy if it's done right.

Good Luck!

I agree, I think it's that damn hammer... see my reply on the firingline forum.... biggest problem is the instructions are just too damn complicated and the hammer has to be placed in the right position, it usually won't fall there.

jarhead995

Bearcat
WARNING LONG READ

I figured it out, the hammer was stuck, so I flipped the gun upside down and hit it on the arm of my futon haha, then the mainspring came out. I took everything apart, lubed cleaned, and reassembled, but the mainspring still wouldn't go in, I got it in finally, but the bolt kept sticking which pissed me off, so I took it apart, cleaned the bolt once again, and put it all back together. Then again the mainspring wouldn't go in so I read Dr. Bullseye's troubleshooting page, and push the hammer forward, which I thought was the farthest. I stuck the mag in and hit it in with my palm and what do ya know the whole botton, and spring shoot out and hit me in the stomach... great.. I grab a screwdriver, stick it in the spring, and slide it down, that took me approximately 20 minutes...................... So back the the mainspring, I have the mag in, I'm pulling the trigger and I thought the hammer was going its farthest, but I guess not, because after about an hour, and my last try the hammer goes waaay further than it had ever gone before, I finally get the mainspring in, hit it with my mallet, AND THE METAL PIECE THAT COVERS THE MAINSPRING FLIES OFF!! so I just put the mainspring in, and the gun is working just fine, but the little metal piece that covers the spring is sitting right next to me, because it wouldn't go back in, so I hope my whole gone isn't broken :|

Oh and ghost I haven't served, yet. Jarhead is my nickname for Jared :p and I'm actually 14 haha.

Burley

Bearcat
There's a bunch of utube vids re the disassembly of a mark III. One even refers to the hammer as a cheese and dingleberry! All you need is a better understanding and follow the exact sequence. You'll be fine.

Latest posts