IDEHO

Bearcat
What is a "recoil spring support" ?
My muzzle is flat?
B6A7A473-7055-4769-9AC4-4201190019BD.jpeg

IDEHO

Bearcat
Welcome to the board!

You have a Type VI Red Eagle and it should have the red eagle grips. The site looks like a homemade affair. Also, I believe they were still using bolts that were not blued yet. Here's a pic of mine to show you the correct type grips, site, and bolt.

View attachment 12200
Hi , do your grips have numbers on the back like mine do? Thanks

Can anyone recommend the best reference book on these ?

1D3085A4-BE9A-41CE-AD15-AF0D9FC8C1D8.jpeg

782E364C-D334-4B9E-966F-33F80973D453.jpeg

These were my first two books, and my favorites. Chad's book has a LOT of info on the Standard, Mark I and Mark II pistols, the early pistol bible if you will. Don's book is just one of the best pictorial representations for the early pistols I've come across, and there's good history on Ruger in there too. Both of these are a must have for your library. Chad's book is out of print so you have to find one on the secondary market. They pop up on eBay frequently. Don's book can be had HERE for $45, but if join the Ruger Owners Collectors Society (ROCS) you can save $10, and get it for $35. ;)

Another good one is Ruger Pistols and Revolvers. While it mostly caters to the early revolvers, the begining of the book has some great info for collectors of the auto pistol. If you even think about starting up with the single six or Blackhawks you definitely want this book.

5DABDB30-38F7-4575-848D-43D856FB5037.jpeg

IDEHO

Bearcat
They do not. Original red eagle grips will not have them.
Thanks
View attachment 12229
View attachment 12230

These were my first two books, and my favorites. Chad's book has a LOT of info on the Standard, Mark I and Mark II pistols, the early pistol bible if you will. Don's book is just one of the best pictorial representations for the early pistols I've come across, and there's good history on Ruger in there too. Both of these are a must have for your library. Chad's book is out of print so you have to find one on the secondary market. They pop up on eBay frequently. Don's book can be had HERE for $45, but if join the Ruger Owners Collectors Society (ROCS) you can save $10, and get it for $35. ;)

Another good one is Ruger Pistols and Revolvers. While it mostly caters to the early revolvers, the begining of the book has some great info for collectors of the auto pistol. If you even think about starting up with the single six or Blackhawks you definitely want this book.

View attachment 12231
Thanks, I'm going to get Chad's book.

TestEngineer

Bearcat
What is a "recoil spring support" ?

The recoil spring is part of an assembly that sits above the firing pin in the bolt.
The rebound spring has a support piece and sits below the firing pin in the bolt.
This is what the support looks like:
1670577700211.png

that picture above is for the firing pin support....the recoil spring support is the cross piece they added to the recoil spring that rides on TOP of the bolt, goes all the way from front to back,,,,,, the the early bolts do NOT have a "notch" cut ( you see it on the top of the bolt looking at it through the ejection port) that is the support.........

look at these two guns at the bolt inside the receiver the top one has NO cutout (notch) for the support, the bottom one does ......;)

xvbdEOfm.jpg

you may note the serial numbers of the two guns,,,yes they ARE the same,,gee go figure.......CHad has this written up in the RENE they both belong to my wife, one is the original one made in the 1949 the other was made in the mid 1960s and renumbered???? but why??? we'll never know I guess........:rolleyes:

Last edited:

IDEHO

Bearcat
Interesting, duplicate serial numbers, go figure. Do you have shipping letters on both? Could you send me a photo , side by side, of the tops showing the bolt top pin heads and the rear sights? Thanks !, John

she has the RCA certificate for the early one, there cannot be a "second letter" as the number will ONLY refer back to the first ,original gun.....but if one looks you can see the later, newer 1/2 inch rear sight dovetail as well as there is an "Inc" in the rollmarking for the address on the side of the receiver,,,this is from the mid 1960s when they incorporated.........this "second newer" gun was a gift to my wife from our deceased friend Don W from Bowling green, OH he found it in Jacquas Gunshop some years ago, .,,.......this was indeed a surprise, and NO not even Chad can figure this one out let alone the folks at the factory, it was a rebuilt, and renumbered?? maybe a replacement? ha ha,,,,, she has had the original for many ,many years one of her first guns #2720...........;)

IDEHO

Bearcat
Interesting, I am researching my type "V1". Going to get a letter, hopefully the form I pulled up is still valid ( Southport Connecticut) address. My pistol looks like it was made yesterday. No signs of re- blueing. Yet, the non red eagle grips, the "rounded machineing of the top of the bolt stop pin, the rear sight, the blue on the ears and shaft of the bolt don't coincide with my 1950 serial #10140. The odd rear sight is very professionally fabricated. Hopefully the shipping date will shed some light.

the bolt stop in the rear the top may be a number of variations, ,need to see a close up at the nub sticking out the top of the receiver.........
here is what the parts from a first issue ,LOW number gun look like........

.....and NO "support" cut into the front top of the bolt.........

1oPA1Xul.jpg

look at the sights.......... you will see that rear sight in some guns backwards or forwards..........;):cool::rolleyes:

IDEHO

Bearcat
Here is a photo of my bolt stop top.
Interesting they would sometimes reverse the direction of the rear sight

TestEngineer

Bearcat
.....and NO "support" cut into the front top of the bolt.........
That bolt is AWESOME!!! I've always hated the design with the "support" cutout that doesn't lock the support down. It (the support) tends to lift up a bit during firing and then allows the firing pin tip to lift up. That results in some strikes missing the primer pocket and an FTF.

Does the recoil spring in that bolt hold the firing pin tip down, or did Ruger leave some metal in the bolt face to do the job?

A close up pic of the bolt face would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Its been a while since we messed with the those 'early bolts, as they were each made, the firing pin fitted individually in the beginning....appears to be "costly" why they went to the newer bolt machined from a 2 inch piece of bar stock and of course during the Korean War to "save steel" used a 1 inch bar stock and pressed on the separate bolt "ear".....which did "come apart" with use, they recalled them and replaced with the one piece design again....I will have to get my wife to dig out these old parts I got her some years ago from a old RST-4 in the #003x range that was destroyed in a gun buy back program locally...thus the barreled receiver "melted down".... GONE ........I was able to salvage the parts.....oh well, a story that cannot be told:(
Wish my old FUji digital camera was still working to get a closeup pic.............:confused:

chet15

Hawkeye
xvbdEOfm.jpg

Love that pic!!! Note the bottom gun also has an address that includes the abbreviation "INC."!!! So that is a special gun indeed because the "INC." receiver address didn't come out until 1964. Serial numbers were changed to the large size in about November 1963. GO FIGURE!!! Somebody made that one special at the factory!! Always figured because somebody wanted a replacement for the early original 2720 and knew somebody in the hierarchy at Ruger. Dan found the proverbial needle in a haystack by getting them matched up again!!

Last edited:

Latest posts