Mark 1 .22 magazine fix?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ohio Rusty

Bearcat
I have an original Mark 1 magazine for my .22 that is in need of repair. There is a button on the outside of the magazine you pull down with your thumb which pulls down the plate the .22 rounds sit on. I guess that is called the follower?. The spring is under that. The issue is the thumb button has become loose ...like maybe the hole where the button goes into the follower has become elongated or maybe egg shaped a bit. The button wobbles, and it must stick out a bit because it interferes with the loaded magazine going back up into the grip.

It this follower and button replaceable? Is it something the factory does? I'd like to get it fixed as this is the original mag that came with the pistol.

Thanks, and I look forward to your reply.
Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Ohio Rusty
S.E. Ohio

the button should have a 'slot' and yes, both this button as well as the follower can be replaced,,,not sure if the factory still has them, as the button changed many times and long ago...call them and ask

The button is held in place by spring pressure and a small slot in the back side of the button head that engages the slot in the magazine. It can get displaced by letting the follower get away from your thumb while loading. I've had a couple of customers lose the button, follower, and spring when this happens. There is a hole at the bottom of the slot. You can use some sort of tool to hold the follower down so the button lines up with the hole to remove or replce the pin. If it is out enough to cause a problem inserting into the magwell, it is not fully in place.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I have a half dozen of those magazines, including a very original one. To some extent all of the buttons wobble and a couple do hang up when inserting the mag into the grip. However none of them have been problematical. Once inserted they worked fine.

Joe