Mannlicher

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
Appears to be Lipsey -

At least for the stainless/walnut.

I don't really care which distributor had Ruger build them. I sense the process is a distributor goes to Ruger and says we think this gun will sell. Ruger says we don't but we'll make them for you if you want to risk your money. Ruger's happy to do it because they get their money on delivery and have zero invested in inventory.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Had a blued 77 International in 308 way back. It was a standard catalog item then. Kicked like a mule and never would keep the same POA from one range session to the next. Shot nice 3 shot groups though. Managed to take a nice doe with it but eventually traded it off... Wish I had it back as it was a dream to carry in the mountains and the POA difference would have never made me miss my shot. Yep they made them as a catalog item.

The Preacher

They came out with a blue 308 in the early 1980's. I got one, it was never very
accurate. Sent it back to Ruger, they said it was within their accuracy standards. Traded it 8-( (it sure was pretty though!)

RSIno1

Hunter
I have a red pad .308 RSI. It is VERY accurate. No longer than my Winchester 94. I love it
Don't tell me that. My RSI is 30-06 with a black pad. It was my first No1, all the blue ones since have been red pad. Now if they would just make a stainless RSI 308 No1 with a gray laminate stock my collection would be complete (for a little while).

Paul B

Hunter
I have three of those blued 1980s RSI rifles in .308 Win. Got into every on cheaply because their previous owners could not make them shoot decent groups. I strongly suspect they were expecting sub MOA or at least MOA groups from those rifles.

They were right. Accuracy was terrible. I decided off the bat that if I could get a reasonably accurate hunting load then I would keep the rifle. First off, what did I expect as "reasonable" hunting accuracy? I decided that if I could get the rifle shooting 1.5" groups on average CONSISTENTLY, then the rifle would be a keeper. Well, I did it. It took a bit over two years before I reached that goal.

One day, looking at my notes I saw a pattern with one powder, primer, brass and bullet that appeared to be consistent in the slightly under two inch range, I played with seating depth and finally started getting the 1.5" I was looking for. I did quite a bit of deer hunting with that rifle and shot deer from 6 feet to 250 yards.

As I acquired the other two rifles I tried that same load combo and it too delivered the goods. I'm sure some are wondering what the load is so here goes. CAUTION: This is the MAX load in my source of information, an early copy of those ONE BOOK/ONE CALIBER books. My copy even has 220 gr. bullet data for the .308 while a later copy no longer has that info.

The load: 49.0 gr. W760 for 2640 FPS (22" barrel ?) 50,000 C.U.P. 165 gr. Speer Hot Core, Winchester brass and WLR primer. Change any one of those components and accuracy goes straight to hell. Actual chronographed velocity from the RSI's 18.5" barrel is 2550 FPS. FWIW, that same load runs 2610 FPS from a 22" barreled Winchester M70.

I took one of the rifles and relieved the contact between the barrel and the metal nose cap on the stock and noq get quite a few 1.25" groups. I'm thinking, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The RSI is not a varmint or target rifle and 1.25 to 1.50" groups is just fine with me. BTW, I did the "fix" on the other two rifles with equal results.

I do repeat that the final load was the max in the box and I consider it maximum in my three rifle. Use at your own risk.

With all the newer powders on the market, I just mat try a few just for spits and grins. Who knows? I just might find on that gives even tighter groups although I have no need. More out of curiosity on two points. Did the relief of the metal nose cap change things enough that other loads may now also work anddid lso allow for smaller groups than what I originally settled for????
Paul B.

Don't tell me that. My RSI is 30-06 with a black pad. It was my first No1, all the blue ones since have been red pad. Now if they would just make a stainless RSI 308 No1 with a gray laminate stock my collection would be complete (for a little while).
I had a No.1 RSI re-barreled to 35 Rem. and scoped with a Leupold 1.25-4X and it shoots fine as a 100 yds. deer rifle.
35 Rem Target #1.jpg

I wish that they would bring back the RLS. It's the same 18 1/2" barrel as the RSI but with a normal forend. I've got a 308 version that does everything I need a rifle to do. But if there were a run of stainless versions I would be sorely tempted. If it was in 358 Winchester I'd be reaching for a credit card.

Attachments

• WP_20151109_10_10_28_Pro_2.jpg
    WP_20151109_10_10_28_Pro_2.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 57

bearden

Bearcat
Thank you all for the info on a 308 international (mannlicher) stock. I have found one in 243 for my daughter and was looking to find something for my son in 308, but I also agree if they had one in 358 I would get out the credit card.

JCK

Single-Sixer
I've got a #1 RSI in 7x57. I got it because #1. It had a Leupold 1.5-5 VariX III scope on it. #2. The price was right because the wood was "distressed". I steamed out most of the dents and touched up scratches and scrapes with some walnut stain and clear satin polyurethane varnish. It looks really good now!

Knowing the reputation for "finicky" accuracy and Looong throats in the 7x57's I used a known accuracy load. I used 47.0gr of IMR4350, PPU cases, Winchester LRP, under a Hornady 139gr BTSPT Interlok seated just short of the cannelure.
Accuracy isn't MOA, but is ~1.5" @100yds for 3-shots. It'll do!
It wears an ancient Burris Monarch 2.5-8x that just seems to belong.
I know.... need to take some pics......

rwp315

Single-Sixer
I wish that they would bring back the RLS. It's the same 18 1/2" barrel as the RSI but with a normal forend. I've got a 308 version that does everything I need a rifle to do. But if there were a run of stainless versions I would be sorely tempted. If it was in 358 Winchester I'd be reaching for a credit card.
I have the exact rifle in 30.06.
Also a standard length in 35 Whelen.