Mannlicher Schoenauer 1952 in 257 Roberts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
My question isn't about a Ruger rifle, although I'm hoping interest in the Ruger Mannlicher means there are a few here who like Mannlicher Schoenauer line of rifles. I have a question or two about a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1952 rifle (not full stock) in 257 Roberts I am in the process of buying.

The MS 1952 I am buying is in Oregon, I'm in CA. I have a current C & R FFL license, CA has no restrictions on how I use my C & R when out of state. The store has agreed to ship the rifle to my FFL dealer in CA, however that costs me about $200.00 extra in transfer and tax. If possible I'd like to use my C & R FFL to pick up the rifle when I visit OR on 4th of July weekend. To do that, I must find an objective way to convince the gun store the rifle is C & R eligible, in this case by demonstrating the rifle is greater than 50 years old.

My knowledge of MS rifles is not particularly deep, but I'm supposing the 1952 model was made until 1956 or 1960 when the newer model MS came out. I've read on line the 257 Roberts chambering was offered until only 1960; and that the DOM (year, two digit) is stamped on the left side of the barrel and receiver by the stock line. The blued bolt handle and lack of scope mounting screw holes on the rear receiver bridge are all indicators to me the gun was made greater than 50 years ago. What I am hoping for is some sort of authoritative source/publication which identifies these markers, something akin to the Blue Book, to which I can direct these fellows and assure them the rifle is C & R eligible. Does anyone know of a source?

wunbe

Buckeye
I think yours should have the 90 degree bolt handle too which would also place it in the early 1950s. The sloped back bolt handle MCAs came later.

You might check MS rifles on the inet to find one of the same vintage and then check out their FFL licensing arrangements. Also you can query the MS Collectors Association but a picture would sure help.

Years ago, I almost bought one like yours at a local show but hesitated too long and lost out. I recently bought a 1903 model MS half rifle made in 1928. It has a pop-up tang safety inletted into the stock just behind the receiver; a take-down feature; and the stock has a wooden checkered butt end where the butt plate normally is. It has UK proof marks too but was made in Austria. It looks to me like a custom rifle made for a Brit shop or a specific customer.

wunbe

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I shot a letter to the MS forum owner and am waiting for a response. Everything points to the rifle being 1950s made including the bolt handle. Part of the problem, something I want to avoid, is making these folks feel as though I'm trying to talk them into doing something they ought not - gun stores get skittish that way, so having the info in the Blue Book or an objective source would be helpful.

wunbe

Buckeye
A copy of the federal law governing the issue and the date of production on the receiver should be all you will need.

For the feds that is.

As a CA resident you may have other complications under state law but they certainly do not apply to out of state sales. The CA laws only come into play when you bring the gun back into the state. IF the seller shipped it into CA therr might be some issues for him too but not if you buy it in person out of state. Long guns can be sold face to face w/o regard to residency.

wunbe

pete44ru

Hunter
wunbe said:
A copy of the federal law governing the issue and the date of production on the receiver should be all you will need.

Long guns can be sold face to face w/o regard to residency.

Although, per Federal Law, any citizen can purchase a long gun (not a handgun) in any state, if the transfer does not occur in the buyer's state of residence, the mandatory face-to-face transfer must be from an FFL-holder (licensee).

https://www.atf.gov/file/58686/download [Chapter 44; Section 922, pps (a), (1), (A), & pps (b), (3).]

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Although CA law interferes with the C & R FFL if the deal is being done in CA, or if the gun is being shipped to me in CA, the state hasn't yet figured out a way to play with the deal when it is done entirely out of state - that is, me physically out of state, the sale being done & gun handed over entirely out of state. Once back in CA I have a few days to "self-register" it at a cost of $19.00.

The gun store accepts that I can buy the gun using my C & R FFL, the challenge is proving to them the rifle is C & R eligible.

picketpin

Buckeye
You do know the Oregon recently passed a law, now in effect, that there are NO private firearms sales and ALL sales must be transacted from one FFL to another FFL so that background checks can be run on seller and buyer. ??

Lotta guys I know in Oregon are a bit "excercised" about this one.

RWT

dfletcher

Blackhawk
picketpin said:
You do know the Oregon recently passed a law, now in effect, that there are NO private firearms sales and ALL sales must be transacted from one FFL to another FFL so that background checks can be run on seller and buyer. ??

Lotta guys I know in Oregon are a bit "excercised" about this one.

RWT

Yep, I'm aware. And I know my friends there are PO'd about it too. Having a C & R FFL means I'm exempt, so long as the gun is C & R eligible. I guess things have gone a bit wrong in OR when a California resident can come into their state, buy without a background check and their residents have to go through a dealer.

If the Mannlicher collectors assn. takes too long, you might ask on the "German and Austrian Firearms" forum on www.doublegunshop.com/BBS. It's the fifth or sixth forum in their forum list. Someone there may know how to date an MS.

Neat gun with a neat caliber--worth the hassle!