Mainsprings for Anniversary Flattops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShrnShndl

Bearcat
Does anyone make heavier mainsprings for the anniversary models? Does anyone know the weight of the factory springs? These are way too slow and soft. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Factory weight is 17lbs. No one makes heavier ones yet, to my knowledge. Wolff will probably be first, so you might want to check there.

I bought a couple of heavier, full/regular length springs with plans of cutting them down a bit to see if that adds some strength, but haven't gotten around to it.

-- Sam

flatgate

Hawkeye
Two options, IMHO.
#1 is to swap out the grip frame for one that was made with a 23# Mainspring.
#2 is the fact that one can modify things so a standard mainspring strut and spring assembly can be fitted. I did on my .44 mag but after about 4 shots with .44 Specials I was writhing in pain. Off with the XR-3 and on with a "modified" Super grip frame...

50thShooterLR.jpg

JMHO,

flatgate

ShrnShndl

Bearcat
Thanks for the information. It is such a simple thing. You would think someone would be making it. Thanks again

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
ShrnShndl":1mte8olu said:
Thanks for the information. It is such a simple thing. You would think someone would be making it. Thanks again
"They" (someone) will. The guns haven't been out that long, in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, my idea of buying the heavier, longer spring from a pre-lock model and cutting it to size still has merit...

-- Sam

Pinecone

Blackhawk
ShrnShndl, Check with a good "competent" local gunsmith if you have one. If their worth their "salt", he/she should be able to fix you up with whatever poundage and size you need/want! I did this often for my customers. One of the first things you acquire as a practicing gunsmith is a very good selection of springs of all sorts. Can't get by without them!.................Dick :wink:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
ShrnShndl":1fxyjl8t said:
Does anyone make heavier mainsprings for the anniversary models? Does anyone know the weight of the factory springs? These are way too slow and soft. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much

I'd be curious to know the difference in lock times. My 357 anniversary is the most accurate SA I own. And I've never had a light strike on either of my NM FTs. I absolutely love that silky smooth action on the lock models and would have to get a significant improvment before I messed with the hammer spring. Maybe I'm just weird? 8)