Mailing guns and LGS attitudes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
What else I picked up on -

Per Longcarbine's posts , he' s including the FFL s from the recieving Dealer , And his local Dealer .

That way , he is acting as Agent of his local dealer , for a dealer to dealer shipment , Not shipping as an Individual

wproct

Single-Sixer
I became good friends over time with the owner of a local pawn shop. Part of what he liked about running his own business was that he was in charge and could make his own decisions about what he would or would not do, as long as it was legal. He would not ship or receive guns for customers except for a couple of chosen charity/sporting groups. Then on those occasions he did so free gratis except for shipping charges, and that amounted to a fair amount of work for him.

I was a good customer and could easily have asked him to make an exception for me, but I never asked him to deviate from his policy. I think that is part of why we became good friends. He did however give me some pretty good deals on some guns that I bought from him.:)

Danny

Single-Sixer
I guess I'm lucky in that I know a few GOOD local gun shops,, who can & will ship handguns for me if necessary. As noted,, "customer service" is the key phrase here.

And while it's legal for an individual to ship a handgun TO a FFL,, many FFL's don't like to receive a gun from an individual. Their business,, their choice. Plus,, there are not many shipping services that accept a handgun for shipping to them from an individual.
USPS has to have a FFL on file,, so no individual shipping there. FedEX from what we now see won't even accept a handgun for shipping. So, that leaves UPS,, which the fees are totally out of line in my opinion. They jacked up fees, demanding overnight shipping charges due to thefts of firearms BY THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES. Penalize the customers, not the thieves.
Paperwork for transferring a handgun isn't a huge deal. A gun comes in, you go to your log book, log it in. When it goes out,, you log it out. Total time to do this maybe 10-15 minutes.
But,, if you get in a shipment of 20 or more guns,, then the time it takes to sit down, log them each in, (remember,, always double check the guns serial number,, directly, so you get it correct in the log book,) then that can take a lot longer. And to log one out,, individually, about 5-10 minutes. But a business,, that has 20 or more sales a day,, that can take a big bite out of time. Time is wages & such.
It's a business, and each business has to figure out how to balance their time & (maybe) employees to where the log book is always properly handled.
A one man, small business that maybe does 10-20 transfers a week, is easier to manage than a bigger business that maybe does 50-100 a day.
And we ALL know that the BATF is easy going, allows paperwork mistakes, overlooks minor infractions, and is gun friendly. (Sarcasm inserted here.)

But it does boil down to the attitude of the business. If you treat each & every person as a valued customer,, then you'll be successful.
If you feel you can't be bothered by minor services (like a transfer) where you can easily charge $20 (or more) for something that takes 10-15 minutes for each transaction, then you will lose customers.

That's why a person NEEDS to develop a good working relationship with a couple of good gun shops. It lets the business owner see you as a valued customer. Go visit them. Buy something, even if it's a small item. Buy a gun occasionally. BRING in a friend or two. Refer others to them. In other words,, let the business owner see you as a "good customer" and he'll consider your needs much quicker.

And to answer the comment about disassembly & shipping "parts." All BUT the serialized part can be shipped like that. But a serial numbered part is considered THE FIREARM by the Feds. Big no-no to try that with the USPS.
A nonlicensee can ship firearms (long guns) any time they wish through the USPS. A nonlicensee can't ship a handgun through the USPS. Only an FFL can legally ship a handgun through the USPS.

Danny

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
Just ran into a new rule at ups. You as a non ffl are allowed to ship a firearm to ffl. Have to declare a firearm in the description to be shipped. The new rule is they require any firearm parts shipped have to go to a ffl! This is NY

XP100

Blackhawk
Just ran into a new rule at ups. You as a non ffl are allowed to ship a firearm to ffl. Have to declare a firearm in the description to be shipped. The new rule is they require any firearm parts shipped have to go to a ffl! This is NY
Just another reason I got the hell outof NY. Wait until cuomo in a skirt gets all the new rules and regulations in place after the SCOTUS ruled on the carry law if you think it is bad now..

XP100

Blackhawk
I did transfers and accepted guns from non FFL's with proper ID. I chrged 20.00 fora transfer on long guns and 30.00 for handguns due to having to send P12 forms th eNYS via registered mail, Several customers had guns shipped to me and didn't even conact me before gun was on the way because they got it for a little less online and didn't pay sales tax. When the did call me and tell me they had a New gun being shipped to me I told then it was going to be more (50.00 minimum or 20% over my cost) they got pissed . Some were ordering 4 and 5000.00 Guns. I told them if they didn't agree on the higher cost I would refuse the shipment and have it returned to the shipper.

Danny

Single-Sixer
Danny, you are correct,, but my post was about handguns, not long guns.
Correct, but I covered all of the bases, long gun and handgun so that there was no confusuon based on someone reading only my posting. There is already enough confusuon on various forums from posters posting inaccurate info. that they THINK seems to be correct, or what the USPS told them which is factually incorrect, and is not according to regulations on the BATFE site, or what the USPS spells out in their DMM. I once shipped a long gun through a small USPS branch. The postmaster wanted me to mark on the outside that the package contained a firearm, until I explained to her that the BATFE forbade that, and I explained the rationale behind it. I think that even their DMM says the same, but I won't bank on my memory right now. She accepted what I told her and shipped it with no issue.

Danny

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Thanks for all the input. And no, I’m not trying to do something illegal.

It was just the store owner’s attitude. (I assume he is the owner…I really don’t know.)

And see, this is why I don't like emails for stuff like this. You can't discern HOW something was said from written words. In the 1st communication from the first dealer, I see no attitude or insult at all. He was just letting you know you could send it cheaper yourself. I didn't read any attitude from him. Now the 2nd one full of curse words definitely sounds over the line, but could've been a reaction to your email in the middle. He probably took offense to you "remembering his attitude in the future" when he didn't display reading it wrong. Manners are rare these days.

Thanks for all the input. And no, I’m not trying to do something illegal.

It was just the store owner’s attitude. (I assume he is the owner…I really don’t know.)
And see, this is why I don't like emails for stuff like this. You can't discern HOW something was said from written words.
In the 1st communication from the first dealer, I see no attitude or insult from him at all. He was just letting you know you could send it cheaper yourself. I didn't read any attitude in it. Now the 2nd one full of curse words definitely sounds over the line, but could've been a reaction to your email in the middle. He probably took offense to you "remembering his attitude in the future" when he doesn't think he displayed one.
Maybe I'm not reading things right either, but manners seem to be rare these days.

Latest posts