Mailing guns and LGS attitudes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've alway thought from what I've heard it cost $50 or more to ship via UPS..... what's the word on this?

My FFL is a little slow to reply to emails and I was buying a gun from a guy out of state and took. a day for his FFL to get a reply from mine... in the mean time I had emailed them and they did reply the next day apologizing for the delay. I ended up apologizing for pretty much only doing incoming transfers with them. They only charge $25 for this and can't really be making any money off of it. I then said I would do my best to spend some more money in their shop.... they are a pawn shop and have a lot of other stuff in there. Well, on Monday they got me ... for $1200.

Shipping a gun out has got to be more costly... I don't mean so much the actual shipping cost because they can use USPS but just the time involved..

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I dont know where you guys are getting your info but I just shipped a gun via UPS from Mo. to Ok. with $600 worth of insurance for $19 and it got there in two days, I also just had a handgun delivered to my ffl today via FedEx. I think some one is blowing smoke up your ass and calling it a campfire.
Be aware that not all UPS shipping points are UPS. There are UPS "stores" that will not accept firearms anyhow, any way. These are privately owned points and not owned by UPS.

NikA

Buckeye
I dont know where you guys are getting your info but I just shipped a gun via UPS from Mo. to Ok. with $600 worth of insurance for $19 and it got there in two days, I also just had a handgun delivered to my ffl today via FedEx. I think some one is blowing smoke up your ass and calling it a campfire.
If it was a long gun you shipped, keep jn mind handguns need to go overnight/next day per UPS policy and therefore are much more expensive to ship as a non-FFL.

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
Be aware that not all UPS shipping points are UPS. There are UPS "stores" that will not accept firearms anyhow, any way. These are privately owned points and not owned by UPS.
Yes you have to take it to a shipping hub, it cant just be a drop off point. However, if you go online to UPS and fill everything out and print your shipping label you can simply flag down a driver and hand it off to him, just be sure to tell him it is a firearm. I know some are going to call BS but I have done it several times.

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
If it was a long gun you shipped, keep jn mind handguns need to go overnight/next day per UPS policy and therefore are much more expensive to ship as a non-FFL.
It was a handgun and I shipped it two day ground for $19 and as I said that included $600 insurance and I am not an ffl, mind you it was just from Missouri to Oklahoma. It has to be a shipping hub not just a drop off point. I go in, tell them it is a handgun, tell them I have included a copy of my drivers licence a copy of my guys ffl and a copy of the ffl of who it is being shipped to. They weigh it, measure it and ship it like they would anything else. Not trying to be argumentative it's just that people freak out over shipping a gun when it really isn't that big a deal, for now. I'm sure Joe Blow will get around to jackassing this up too.

Last edited:

NikA

Buckeye
It was a handgun and I shipped it two day ground for $19 and as I said that included $600 insurance and I am not an ffl, mind you it was just from Missouri to Oklahoma.
I think you got lucky with an employee that was willing to bend the rules. Per UPS, handguns MUST be shipped the expensive way: https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/s...tems/prohibited-items/firearms.page?loc=en_US

What is "a copy of my guys FFL"? Did you present an FFL for a local dealer as the shipper?

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
I think you got lucky with an employee that was willing to bend the rules. Per UPS, handguns MUST be shipped the expensive way: https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/s...tems/prohibited-items/firearms.page?loc=en_US

What is "a copy of my guys FFL"? Did you present an FFL for a local dealer as the shipper?
Didn't get lucky, I've sent them this way dozens of times. Didn't present anything but the package, simlpy told them that a copy of my dealers ffl was in the box along with a copy of the ffl for the dealer it was going to and a copy of my drivers licence. There were three office workers standing there when I was so I'm pretty sure if the rules were being bent someone would have said something.

NikA

Buckeye
Didn't get lucky, I've sent them this way dozens of times. Didn't present anything but the package, simlpy told them that a copy of my dealers ffl was in the box along with a copy of the ffl for the dealer it was going to and a copy of my drivers licence. There were three office workers standing there when I was so I'm pretty sure if the rules were being bent someone would have said something.
Ok, you're correct and I'm wrong, but the UPS website I cited states in plain English at the top of the second section that handguns MUST go Next Day, so there is clearly inconsistent information out there, which makes it a PITA for most non-FFLs who are not you.

Chance

Buckeye
Ok, you're correct and I'm wrong, but the UPS website I cited states in plain English at the top of the second section that handguns MUST go Next Day, so there is clearly inconsistent information out there, which makes it a PITA for most non-FFLs who are not you.
UPS instituted the Next Day Rule many years ago in an attempt to get control of thefts by their employees.

Chance

Buckeye
FFLs are under no obligation to accept from non FFL. It is a service I provided for many years for my customers and I threatened to stop year after year because of the crap some senders tried to pull. The most common was "I KNOW MY RIGHTS AND I DON'T HAVE TO SEND A COPY OF MY DL". That happened a lot.

The fact is a FFL has to enter the guns: make, model, sn, type, caliber, date received and FROM WHOM RECEIVED (name and address for private individuals) in the Federal Log Book. Just as I couldn't just say the name of my business without including a copy of my FFL with the shipment neither can a private individual ship with no documentation as to identity.

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
Understood, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a rule that must be complied with by non-FFL shippers, except apparently some in part of Missouri.
No need to get your panties in a wad, just telling you how it works here. Maybe it's different from state to state.

hittman

Staff member
I’m apparently lucky, lazy or not very thrifty.
Shipping is what I pay FFLs for.
Gives me peace of mind on any potential legal end of things too.
It ain’t rocket science.

Latest posts