Magazine Question / 7.62 & 308

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Has anybody heard yet if the mags Ruger sells for the SR-762 also fit the new SFAR?

SFAR comes with only ONE :mad: 20 round magazine and it'd sure be nice to have at least two!

pyth0n

Buckeye
Has anybody heard yet if the mags Ruger sells for the SR-762 also fit the new SFAR?

SFAR comes with only ONE :mad: 20 round magazine and it'd sure be nice to have at least two!
I checked the Ruger SFAR accessories & for the 20 rnd mag, it says;
"The Magpul® PMAG® 20 LR/SR GEN M3 magazine is a 20-round, 308 Win / 7.62 NATO, lightweight, high reliability magazine for the Ruger® SR-762® and Ruger Precision® Rifle. This magazine fits all 308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor and 243 Win Precision Rifles." (Edit); Part Numbers for the mag for both the SFAR &SR-762 is the same.
If that's what I understand you're asking.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Well … duh. I missed that. Sorry but thank you.

I looked at the mags on their site and they didn't yet mention the SFAR.

Why stop at 2 mags. When I had a AR-10, I was buying the metal mags in the 50 bucks each range. When Pmags came out at about half that I got 1 in 20rd and it worked just as good as a 50 dollar mag. I think when I sold the rifle I had 8 and 2 of the 30 round size. Just me, the 30s weigh to much, are to long to get down into prone nice and low. 20 is enough. For range work 5rders were the best.

No reason NOT to have several magazines for any firearm that uses detachable mags. When I got my first AR10, mags were somewhat difficult to find and relatively expense. Lately, large frame AR mags are both available and lower priced. Since the intended purpose of my 6.5 Cr and .308 AR's is hunting, most of my mags are 10 rounds but on the slim chance something more is needed, I've been adding a 25 round now and then. That said, adding a 25 round mag to a lightweight platform somewhat defeats the weight advantages.
I recently purchased a bolt action Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel. The determining factor was the use of AR style magazines which I already have on hand.

I bought PMag 25rd for 21$ and 20rd for 17$

There are some 20 and 25 pmags in stores around here for about the same.

gunmagwarehouse.com has SR-762 20 round metal mags going for $16 plus shipping, but I'm not sure if the they'll work in the SFAR. Ruger says they probably will, but nobody there sounded too confident about that answer.
No reason NOT to have several magazines for any firearm that uses detachable mags.
Couldn't agree more.