Magazine insertion problems with 22/45 Mk II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dwasifar

Bearcat
Hi all,

I have a 22/45 Mk II, bought new when it was still current production, so I'd say the gun is probably 25-30 years old at this point. It's had a lot of rounds through it over that time.

Lately I have noticed difficulty in getting the magazines to engage the catch. They slide in normally, but the catch doesn't snap in easily like it should; I have to slap the bottom of the mag to get it to catch. If I depress the release while inserting the mag, and then let go the button when the mag is fully inserted, it usually catches ok, but I can't just insert a mag and have it click into place the way it used to. One person on another forum assumed I was inserting the mag with the bolt closed, but this is not the case; the problem occurs with the bolt locked open.

Is this a known issue? What can be done?

Also, I saw somewhere that a Mk III magazine is backward compatible with the Mk II (e.g. the Mk III mag will work in the Mk II, but not the reverse). Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I am not well versed in 22/45, MK-III/IV variants, but my first though was the nub/protrusion for the mag release may be getting worn.

AFAIK, the newer mags are backwards compatible. I know I can use them in MK-II's. I can have a little difficulty removing them, but I know why and it's not a major issue.

dwasifar

Bearcat
I am not well versed in 22/45, MK-III/IV variants, but my first though was the nub/protrusion for the mag release may be getting worn.

Just to be clear, you mean on the magazines, not inside the gun, right?

AFAIK, the newer mags are backwards compatible. I know I can use them in MK-II's. I can have a little difficulty removing them, but I know why and it's not a major issue.

Thanks, that is what I've heard as well. I'm going to try a new mag and see if that helps.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have miv 22/45 magazines that work in my mkii 22/45

So yes backwards compatibility is true.

Does this only happen with fully loaded mags? If so, try locking the bolt open and insert magazine. If it works as you expect, it's not the pistol's issue but a mag issue. Mags get dirty & draggy over time. The extra force required to push that top round down another 1/16" may be the cause of the problems.
I have five 22/45 pistols (both Mk2 & Mk3) and probably 12-15 mags (used in no specific order or pistol) the majority require a solid 'bump' on the mag base to seat.

redfernclan

Bearcat
I bought a new mk IV hunter and had some issues with the magazines. On the forum a few people were having issues with various screws coming loose. I took the grips of and found the magazine release button detent screw had come loose. [I'm guessing on it's name, but you should get the right idea] A dab of blue locktite and no more issues.

dwasifar

Bearcat
Does this only happen with fully loaded mags? If so, try locking the bolt open and insert magazine. If it works as you expect, it's not the pistol's issue but a mag issue. Mags get dirty & draggy over time. The extra force required to push that top round down another 1/16" may be the cause of the problems.
I have five 22/45 pistols (both Mk2 & Mk3) and probably 12-15 mags (used in no specific order or pistol) the majority require a solid 'bump' on the mag base to seat.
It happens even with the bolt open.

This was suggested to me before on another forum, and that discussion did not go as pleasantly as this one is. But that's why I made a point of saying so.

I bought a new mk IV hunter and had some issues with the magazines. On the forum a few people were having issues with various screws coming loose. I took the grips of and found the magazine release button detent screw had come loose. [I'm guessing on it's name, but you should get the right idea] A dab of blue locktite and no more issues.

Not sure where that would be on this gun:

The release is parts 74, 75, 76 in this diagram, and it looks like spring 83 holds it, but I don't see anything that looks like a detent screw or setscrew:

Ruger_MKII2245_schem.jpg

redfernclan

Bearcat
Looks like mine is a wee bit different. the Allen head screw with the big flat head is what was coming loose on mine. Sorry, just trying to help.

Attachments

• 20230525_070258_resized.jpg
    20230525_070258_resized.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 50

dwasifar

Bearcat
I would start with a detail strip and clean of the grip module and magazine release. Trying to insert a mag in the lower with the upper removed might make the issue obvious.
Now why didn't I think of that?

I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

dwasifar

Bearcat
Okay guys, here's an update. Short version is, the problem is solved.

Based on the responses here about backward compatibility, I bought two new Mk III mags. They fit fine, they feed fine, and most importantly for this issue, they lock into place easily. So it looks like we can blame the problem on worn magazines.

Knowing this, I plan to compare the latch "tooth" on the old vs new, and maybe see if I can bump them out a bit with a punch or something.

Thanks to everyone who responded and helped me solve the problem.

dwasifar

Bearcat
An addendum: I literally could not remember when I bought this gun, so I looked it up by the serial number and it was made in 1994. So ~29 years. If all I need to do is replace the mags after all that time, I'd say that's pretty good.

dwasifar

Bearcat
Here are the old and new mags side by side:

20230527_135752.jpg

The catch on the new mag (bottom) is visibly sharper and more pronounced. To recondition it, I think I would need to figure out a way to bump it out a little from the inside. Maybe if I bend a nail over near its tip it will work as a tool for this.

Or maybe I should just pitch 'em. Might not be worth the hassle.