Mag capacity

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
Hey guys, i only have one gun in the house, a p95. I have 2 15rnd mags, factory. My question is, how full should i keep the mag in the weapon. I've only been keepin 10 or so at most in it.

how full do you keep your mags loaded, or how full would you, if this were your only gun in the house. Should i just load the gun up 15+1 and keep the other mag emtpy and swap em out occasionally.

I read on another thread that keeping the mags loaded dosnt hurt the springs, and on others ive read keeping them fully loaded can cause problems with the lsat few rounds feeding.

just looking for some insight.

Thanks

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Keeping them fully loaded is OK for the springs. Springs wear more from the cycling than anything else. Well, extreme heat and cold might wreck havoc on them as well. I would be more worried about the mags deforming than the springs. The feed lips or retaining lips or whatever you want to call them, are where you'll probably see your first issues. They may start getting bent out of shape from the pressure. IF this is a concern of yours, then maybe load it a round or two short to reduce some of the pressure.

So, Load away and don't worry about it. For my carry guns, they stay full. I have a couple extra mags that are dedicated to range use and training that get beat up quite a bit.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Mr_banjo2, Guns are sold with the stated magazine capacity noted that come with the gun. That's exactly what I have always loaded in mine and recommended. Are you having any FTF problems with any of your mags? If so, then you need to have the gun looked at by a competent gunsmith. If not then feel free to keep them fully loaded. If it's a gun for home defense then you want the max firepower even though you may never have to use it in your lifetime but you never know! The springs and mags were engineered for a certain capacity and should be just fine fully loaded. I once fired two fully loaded magazines out of a Browning High-Power my uncle had loaded for 24 years without a single hitch or failure to fire!....................................Dick :wink:

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I keep the one in the gun fully loaded and two spare mags fully loaded as well.

No issues with mags at all my entire Ruger owning life. :D

tk

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
2, 15rd mags and 1, 10rd mag fully loaded all the time. Plus one in the "chute."

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Load them to capacity-----replacement springs are cheap---but I'll doubt they'll be a problem.

All that and I've been keeping 4 new in package mags for years---2 are the blued kind that I don't think they even sell anymore----I've only seen stainless ones offered for quite a while.

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
Good to know, thanks guys! no not having any issues with my mags, ill load em up when i get home..

i might keep one empty tho, but your right, its what they were designed to do!

Thats why i come here.

Banjo