M77 Varmint Liberty in .220 Swift

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barrett93

Single-Sixer
This has some potential to be my new favorite rifle. Ruger M77 Varmint Liberty .220 Swift I bought this from a guy in my small hometown who bought it new here in 1976. He says that back in the 70's and 80's he was busting groundhogs at 600 yards. It's topped with a Weaver K12-1 which is of the same vintage as the rifle but it's impressively clear. I think it sure is one beautiful rifle. Going to be working up some handloads to see what she prefers.

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
Good luck with that gun, I consider it a premier varmint gun. I have a M77V in a 220 Swift, in the early 80's I shot 100's of groundhogs here in PA. I generally kept the range under 450yds. Leupold VX3 6.5-20 on top. It is very accurate, especially with longer bullets. You will find that they have a deep throat so for best accuracy you may seat the bullet longer than they will fit the magazine. That was no problem, I would single feed, rarely needing a follow up shot. Those were happy summer days, now it is getting harder to find a big field that doesn't have a house.

Nice setup I have one of the earlier ones with a 10x lyman all American it loves factory hornady custom ammo I have a hard time reloading for it . It stretches the necks when I draw the expander plug back out of the case it changes the angle on the neck I have been told it is the norma brass being to soft which is the only brass I have loaded im going to try the hornady brass soon good luck with your new toy

Gramps

Three44s

Single-Sixer
.243 of the same genre here! A "V" and Liberty!

I am the original owner and it's loved a lot and shot a little ....... used for coyotes so the round count is not as high as you might imagine. I am a rancher so I have a number of "tractor" guns and the Liberty stays nice!

Three 44s

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
GRAMPS 51 said:
Nice setup I have one of the earlier ones with a 10x lyman all American it loves factory hornady custom ammo I have a hard time reloading for it . It stretches the necks when I draw the expander plug back out of the case it changes the angle on the neck I have been told it is the norma brass being to soft which is the only brass I have loaded im going to try the hornady brass soon good luck with your new toy

Gramps

Also have a 1V in 220 Swift with the same 10X Lyman with 1/4 min dot and Canjar single set trigger,most accurate of the 35 + rifles I own,they will stretch the neck,and I neck size only and trim about every fourth/fifth firing.