M77 Ultra Lite

Help Support Ruger Forum:

picketpin

Buckeye
The first gun I bought my son when he turned 12 and could hunt big game. He's 36 now, Can't count the deer, antelope and coyotes he's killed with it. Interesting fact it shoots 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips at 2800 fps to the same point as it shoots 70 grain Sierras at 3254.

Buy it. If you don't, let me know where it is and I will buy it for my grandson..

RWT

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
I have that rifle in 257 Roberts and it is and always will be my favorite. It's a good looking gun and very easy to manage in the woods and on the stand. It's not a tack driver by any stretch of the imagination, but it'll do 2" groups with anything I feed it. 1.5" with its favorite. It's a deer rifle, so that's more than adequate. I have mine topped with a gloss VX1. It's a perfect combo.

35ruger

Single-Sixer
CDNN still has some Hawkeye Ultralites left at a good price.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/243-hkm77rlfp-20-sts-syn.html

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
had one I let my buddy foolishly talk me out of. I had two 257s UL's before and they were miserable shooters. The 250 was just the opposite. Probably the most accurate model 77 of any generation ive ever owned. It would do sub moa even with crappy 100 grain corelock factory ammo. Of all the rifles ive let go over the years that one would be top of the list of ones I want back.

pete44ru

Hunter
Ruger338-06 said:
Well I made a deal on the 250 Savage and the person turned around and sold it to someone else.......

There's one FFL, hereabouts, who did that to me :evil: - I haven't even set foot in his door since (30 years).

Not an Ultralite, my .250 Model 77 is my favorite deer gun.

DSCN1555_zpse9b85826.jpg
DSCN1558_zps67e6ebe0.jpg

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
after many years I rebarrelled mine with a 24" Shilen. Never could tell any difference in terminal performance on game however, compared to that skinny 20" tube.
Beruisis

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I purchased the very first one I found in 1983. Scoped it with a 2x-7x Leupold VXII. Reamed it out to 250 Ackley Improved. Sold it. Tried to buy it back after realizing my mistake, no luck. Purchased 3 Ruger 77R rifles in 250 in later years, two for my 2 sons. Bought a third 77R in 250 and figured I had enough already.
I forgot to mention that other than the two my sons have, I barreled a Ruger 77 Mark II 6mm Rem to 250 Savage Ackley Improved using a Shilen blank. Shoots incredibly accurate, in fact I do not know how accurate because it groups as well as I can hold now. 3/8" at 100, 1 1/2" at 200 with 100 gr Ballistic Tips.
I miss the Ruger 77RL but really prefer a 22" or longer barrel to help with muzzle blast when hunting and not having hearing protection on. The 20" barrel really popped when rechambered to 250 Ackley Imp. I cut my Shilen to 24" thinking later I might shorten it to 22". NOT. If you can't handle a 24" barrel in the woods something else is wrong.
I like the odd chamberings, the 17 Ackley Hornet, 250 Savage improved or standard, and .358 Winchester are my 3 favs after the 22 SHORT of course.
If I could find a 77RL ultralite in any short action chambering, I would rebarrel it to 250 Savage using a 22" with standard contour barrel and just relieve the stock forend for fitting the larger diameter (slightly) new barrel. I still LIKE the ultra lite stock, but would really like it with a standard weight 22" barrel fit.
Don't wait for a factory 250 Savage, have one built. Easy peasy.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
I also had a dalliance with the 250 A.I. but it wasn't meant to be. I went back to the std 250 with a 24" tube & never looked back.
Beruisis

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I did a 250 SAI with both the new Shilen barrel on my recent 77 Mark II and the 1983 77UL factory Ruger barrel I had. Kept two 77R rifles (son's, but sitting in MY safe lol) standard 250 Savage. Got both bases covered : )
Standard AND Ackley Improved are both excellent rounds! Anyone with a 'standard' factory 250 Savage is not missing anything, I just like to tinker. Having a lathe might have had something to do with that.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
the rule of thumb for the 250 AI is that you should have 24" of barrel to get the full benefits of the extra powder capacity IMO. Others may have different results. Just my 2 cents.
Beruisis