M77 tang safety stock question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WAID

Bearcat
I have a m77 in .30-06. The stock seems pretty beefy at the wrist. Having looked at a number of other tang safety m77s in local shops they seem to have a much slimmer grip. Whats the deal with the difference?

fyimo

Bearcat
If you are saying your 30-06 with tang safety has a thicker stock then others you have seen then I wouldn't have an answer to that.

If you are comparing the Mark II to the Ruger with the tang saftey I think you are right that Mark II had a slightly thicker stock. I can only say that having never owned one because my son's friend used to have me store his 7mm mag Ruger Mark II in my gun safe because his now ex wife didn't want it in the house. I never liked the feel of his gun when compared to my tang safety models. His trigger really sucked compared to mine after I adjusted the trigger on mine . The tang safety models had adjustable triggers in them from the factory.

I hope that answers your question. Bye the way I only like the tang safety Ruger Model 77's made near the end of their run after 1989 because by then Ruger was making their own barrels and in the early days they were contracted out and barrel quality was really hit or miss.

I have always loved the stock on the Ruger Model 77 with tang safety because to me it is a classic design and even looked great with fairly plain wood. I also lie the safety because I was used to them on shotguns that I owned.

WAID

Bearcat
Yes mine has a Tang safety and is in the serial number range 70-79xxx. Looking at serial numbers on the other two I can think of off the top of my head, I believe they where later models but am not positive. One was .270 and the other .30-06. All of the stocks are walnut and have red pads and the ruger logo on them. I haven't compared them side by side but they sure seem thinner than the stock on my rifle.

fyimo

Bearcat
WAID":2x96re53 said:
Yes mine has a Tang safety and is in the serial number range 70-79xxx. Looking at serial numbers on the other two I can think of off the top of my head, I believe they where later models but am not positive. One was .270 and the other .30-06. All of the stocks are walnut and have red pads and the ruger logo on them. I haven't compared them side by side but they sure seem thinner than the stock on my rifle.

All of my model 77 with tang safety are late models made in the 90's

mcknight77

Blackhawk
There are many variations in M77 stocks over the years. The very early rifles had slimmer forends transitioning to a fatter and flatter topped forend by the mid 70s. By the 80s the stocks had slimmed up considerably again.

MK IIs reduced the magazine capacity to four and were shallower top to bottom and much more slimmer throughout the profile.

This being a quick overview, take a look at Burke's book to see the many stock variations during the 70s and 80s. And, I'm sure Randy and Ross among others can add to this.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Plus one what Jim says. Burke's book points this out in comparison photos. About the end of the 70- prefix up to the about the 75 prefix you will find beefier stocks, then they trimmed them down again.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Mo, it's out of print. Published in 1984, it remains the only decent reference of M77s. Occasionally copies surface on ebay. I think it is called "Ruger M77 Rifles", by Ronnie Burke. There have been a few romors about that he may be planning an update. It is long past needed.

"Ruger and His Guns", by Wilson is also pretty good, tho not as detailed as Burke. It's regularly seen on ebay as well as Amazon.com.

Chad Hiddleson's "Reference of Ruger Firearms" is good for deciphering models and quantities of rifles made. He is on this forum as Chet15. PM him and he'll sell you a subscription to Red Eagle News Exchange (RENE) the definitive monthly publication of "all things Ruger". A copy of the "Reference", I believe, comes with the subscription. Don't leave home without it.