M77 tang safety model trigger adjustment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yellowhouse

Bearcat
Tang safety model made in year 1990 (prefix 772). Trigger breaks at 5.5 lbs when turned in to where about it requires 2 full turns brings it to surface. At surface level its 5 lbs. When I backed it out to where three threads show there was no change and finally backed it out to near 4-5 threads show and get 4.5 lbs.

Just got this gun and its like new. Other than perhaps grease interferring with operation....is this as good as it gets???? For what its worth the trigger breaks like glass...no creep at all.

Am unfamiliar with older Rugers as this is my first M77. Its a varmint model in 22-250 and I want about 2 lbs. How far can you safely back that screw out without it being an ornament or falling out? If I can go further out and do any good...I can put locktite on it. Seems to me I should be seeing a gradient in pull weight.

Also, is there a link to setting up this system, i.e., trigger engagement, etc. such as with the 700 remington?

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I have a M77 .220 Swift and I installed a Timney trigger.
Mine is set at 1 lb. I love it.
JMHO
Terry

PS- I went the Timney way on the advise of my Gunsmith. This way you can put the gun back to factory specs should you want to sell it.

Yellowhouse

Bearcat
Hmmm! The trigger in my M77 .243 works like a dream and now this. Said above this was my first & had forgotten about it.

Anyway, still trying to find some info on the stock trigger. Did you have to remove any wood to install the Timney?