M77 tang safety 257 Roberts, standard vs ultralight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
I've got a really nice, clean tang safety M77 in 257 Roberts but I find myself grabbing lighter guns when I hunt.

How much lighter is the ultralight version and are there any differences aside from the barrel? Is the barrel channel in the stock thinner as well?

I'm trying to decide between selling mine and buying an ultralight, trying to wrangle a trade, or rebarreling mine to a lighter profile.

I've heard the ultralight 257s may not have been the most accurate guns.

gunzo

Hunter
UL's had a thinner barrel profile as you've mentioned. And they had a narrower barrel channel in the stock. Facts.

Now to memory; thinking the stocks forearm was slimmer than any other forearm on a tang safety version. Possibly an inch or two shorter as well. Knowing it was slimmer than the early models, but even after Ruger slimmed down all the forearms on standard weight rifles, the UL was slimmer still.

Just a thought, you might want find an Ultralight in 257 first, before selling your standard model. Thinking a UL in Bob might be a bit scarce. Yep, 1 on GB now, & it's pretty beat up. Look though, you can see the forearm differences.

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
I appreciate the info and advice.

I should probably be on the lookout for an RSI as well since it's a shorter, lighter gun than the standard version.

gunzo

Hunter
rowdy1972 said:
I have had two ULs in the past...257 and 243....rebarreled both of them. They shot out very quickly. Couldnt keep them on a pie plate at a hundred yds!!

Wow, that's quite a bit of shooing for a sporter.

Original accuracy levels of a 243 are estimated to start slowly deteriorating @ about 2000+ rounds. A 257 Roberts should be closer to 3000.
Light bullets loaded at warp speed with fast burning powders might accelerate this some.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I once had a 257 Roberts 77RL. Mk.II. I did not have a problem with the accuracy but the balance was awful. The standard rifle with the heavier 22" barrel balances better I find it carries better and holds steadier under field conditions.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
I like the heavier barrels but I prefer the Ultra Lite stocks. Several new UL stocks available at Numrich; simply open up the barrel channel.
Or if you get a RSI, cut off the front 7" - 8" of stock & replace with an ebony fore end tip & you're GTG.
I love my tang safety M77s.
Beruisis