M77 stiff bolt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Swamp Rat

Bearcat
I have a M77 Compact SS in .308 and when there is rounds in the mag the bolt is extreemly stiff to cycle, to the point where I have to dismount the rifle to chamber another round. With just one round it is better but still kind of clunky. Is this a common problem? I have done most of my own tinkering and was thinking that some 200/320/600 polishing paste and cycling the bolt would slick it up but don't want to FUBAR the reciever/bolt.

Any sugestions?

TIA

contender

Ruger Guru
It may or may not be associated with the ammo in the magwell. Are these reloads, or factory ammo? Did you stuff one round more than it's supposed to have in it? Have you checked the lugs area for scarring or burrs? How does it feel empty?
Lots of possible answers.

Swamp Rat

Bearcat
Factory ammo, Rem 180gr CoreLok. I only had three rounds in the box and cycling all but the last felt very stiff. With no ammo at all the bolt does not operate smooth. Turning the bolt does not seem to be a problem, just cycling for and aft.

My bolt gun experience is very limited but the Savage Tactical I got rid of was much smoother. From prone I could cycle/fire 4rnds without ever changing position/ dismounting rifle and kept target in the scope the whole time.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
You might want to take a look at the feed ramp. If that is rough of miss angled it could cause your bolt close to be very tough because it is putting the shell in at an angle.

sixshot

Buckeye
I'm guessing it might be the feed rails, just for starters try loosening the rear tang screw a little & try cycling the bolt, also check the lugs, they might not be making good contact, could need lapping, if so thats not a big problem. Just put a small amount of lapping compound on the REAR only of the lugs & lift the bolt handle up, down, up, etc, wipe it off & check the contact, you don't want 100% contact.

Dick