M77 Rifle info--UPDATE Rifle now in hand!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
57springer said:
FergusonTO35 said:
I think the pre-Hawkeye 77's are going to gain a legendary status and appreciate in value like the pre-64 Winchesters.
I think this as well . I see them selling as I posted above for $800 and up at Gun auctions. I own 2 of them . A 270 Win . and a 308 win , both excellent shooters . :wink:

John Barsness always sang their praises, and he knows more than a little about good rifles!

57springer

Buckeye
I went to a local gun auction last evening . 3 m77s there , all shooters 90 % or a little more . 308 win with a cheap scope $1100 , 7mm 08 , no scope $950 and a well carried 270 with a scope . $960 .

kevin masten

Blackhawk
You snagged a really nice M77 and I will add one of the more desirable ones. Sights and rings! Nice! Nothing more to say. The terms you reached were in your favor. The only thing that would top your acquisition would be the box and paperwork in it. Proud that you got it.

I agree, also ,the M77 s are the old model Win 70s as collectibles. Just like the OM revolvers are the new collectible Colts .

kevin masten

Blackhawk
I missed the rings! You are correct in that it is an RT and not RS. RS would have been great. Does not diminish my enthusiasm for the rifle or current owner , however.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
The scope is mounted in unmarked rings. The base is a one-piece with a circled "R" on the right side, front.

The top of the receiver is curved on top and the base is curved to match. On another board, I found a list of the codes. Mine with Sights and round top receiver should be an "ST", I think.

The Ruger SN lookup page doesn't say anything about "RT" or "RS". It does say the model is 00782.

rob

hittman

Staff member
For $10 Ruger will send you a letter to verify the exact configuration and ship date.

There's a couple-three very knowledgeable fellers in Idaho that have had this same discussion/argument for many years. Is it a S or a ST ? I still believe it is an S, as I cannot see a round top in the photo.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127449

McKnight77, 208packinheat, Bear Paw Jack...Are you listening?

mcknight77

Blackhawk
The rifle is an ST (round top receiver with sights. It would be a PL if it was a round top without sights.) . It is not an S. An S would be a rifle milled for Ruger rings, with sights, shipped from the factory without Ruger rings. The only way to determine if a rifle is actually an S is to have the original box serial numbered to the rifle and showing the designation S on the box as opposed to RS on the box, or have a factory letter that verifies it as an S, shipped from the factory without Ruger rings. Nice rifle, BTW!

mrs50sls56

Bearcat
It not only a very nice M77, but it's not a M77-R (Integral Rings) or a M77-RS (Integral Rings + Express Sights). It is a M77-ST; it has a mid-weight barrel, a Round-Top Action (no integral rings), and the Express Sights. Rare Duck. Nice score.

black029

Single-Sixer
It's always nice to have a period-correct scope. It is amusing to see a 40 year old rifle with a pic rail and matte black 30 mm optic with 3 turrets.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
If you don't want the scope or want a better one, you can likely get an easy C-note or more for that old Redfield. They have their fans and some like the vintage look on certain rifles. If I planned to shoot the rifle much, I'd sell the Redfield and buy a better quality scope. Those optics are easily surpassed by currently available glass in the $150-$200 range.

chuck

Blackhawk
I have a few 77 tang safety's great and acc. rifles, I would not buy one with the safety on the bolt.

k2nd

Single-Sixer
It's an ST. Which means it has Sights and is drilled and tapped for conventional scope mounts. They use bases for the Remington Model 700.
I have 1 in 7 Remington Mag. It's a great rifle.
k2nd

I bought my first M-77 in 7mm back in 1979. I paid $199.99 on sale at Payless Drug Store. I later received a graduation gift of a Redfield 3x9 scope to put on it. Years of deer and elk hunting have given it way more "character" than what yours is showing. Pretty hard to beat for an all around hunting rifle.

Latest posts