M77 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I'm not at all familiar with the M77, but I saw one at a shop today that caught my eye. Serial number was 70-42XXX (can't remember the rest.) Ruger's website puts it as a 1971, but we all know how accurate that can be. It was chambered in 7mm mag. The bluing was excellent, with the receiver showing quite a bit of the "plum" that's common on the old single-actions, and the stock showed some signs of wear. They had it marked $399. Is this a fair price?

thanks in advance!

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Plum huh...It looked kinda like this?
IMG_4159.jpg

It sounds like a deal to me...I am partial to the tang safety of these models. If it has no rust, a clean bore, and the stock isn't cracked...I'd say that is a fair price.

/but I'd be willing to bet if you showed up with cash in hand they would come down a little bit....maybe not if they know what they got

Three50seven

Buckeye
Yep, just like that Pie! I may just have to stop back in this week sometime, I really have no need whatsoever for a 7mm mag though. There's absolutely nothing I need to shoot at in Indiana with that big of a rifle!

contender

Ruger Guru
It's not a matter of need,,, it's a matter of appreciating it for what it is, and the very fair price. Heck, I bought one almost like it just because it was in good shape & the price was right. I've never had to take it hunting as I too have no real need in NC for a gun that big. But,, at times,, it's just fun to shoot & enjoy.

street

Hunter
Hay! It's a Flatbolt. You won't have any problem selling it if you want to sometime in the future. See if you can talk him down some.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
If the bolt handle looks like this I'LL TAKE IT!

DSCF0407.jpg

Even if it looks like this I'LL TAKE IT!
Serial number says it should be a Hollow Bolt unless it's really an ST (Round Top). I had ST 7 Mag 70-60xxx Flat Bolt once. Rarely see a Long Action Flat Bolt out of the 70-21xxx - 70-29xxx range but may be seen up to 70-89xxx.

DSCF0402.jpg

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Randy, 357 graciously provided the contact info to me. I called the shop and they sent me pictures. The rifle is an ST Hollowbolt.

A rare rifle, but condition is about 85-90% from what I saw in the pictures.

Price is good, but condition is not there for me.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Jim,
Thanks for the info but I too am out. I saw an ST Hollow Bolt 25-06, what I would call a rare one, at the show here last spring but it to was in 85% range, too much wear for my taste.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
My father in law gave my son a m77 mk1 with a leopold 3 by9 scope in 25-06 last year for christmas and he loves it. We cant even use it for hunting here in the lower half of Mi but it is great fun to shoot at the range. It is zeroed in at 300 yards.

Latest posts