M77 MKII Makeover

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chromaflage

Bearcat
Back in 1999, I purchased my very first hunting rifle - a Ruger M77 Mark II .30-06. Until then, I'd always had to borrow a hunting rifle. The first deer I harvested with this rifle was my biggest blacktail ever and to date. Since then, this rifle has been responsible for harvesting many animals. As it's tough letting such an old friend go, I decided to keep her (instead of selling to upgrade) and make some modifications to improve her quality of life....as well as mine.

This is what she used to look like....in all her glory with the original boat paddle stock and mis-matched Nikon 3-9 scope.

Ruger1.jpg

With her makeover, she's a completely different animal. Here are the mods that have been done:

• Replaced boat paddle with a Boyd's Forest Camo Laminate Stock, custom cut to my LOP
    Floated barrel
    Glass bedded action
    Replace stock trigger (14# pull) with a Timney Adjustable trigger set at 2.5#
    Custom thick recoil pad
    Topped with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 X 50 (had to install a little taller rings to accommodate the 50 mm objective.

In her new dress:

Ruger3.jpg

Ruger2.jpg

Yeah, she looks nice...but how does she shoot? Good enough I'd say. ;)

Target.jpg

Since the modifications two years ago, she's got 8 Wyoming Deer, 5 Wyoming Antelope and two Oregon Blacktail Deer to her credit. Fun project.

Joe S.

Hunter
Not typically a fan of stainless guns, laminate stocks or silver acopes but MAN!! Do those come together nicely!!