M77 Mk II 30-06 -- I finally have a Ruger bolt action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
I must have drooled over the M77 from its earliest days in Guns & Ammo articles. I remember helping a friend's wife purchase a gift for him 20 years ago and it was a M77 in 270. Today I found an "as new" stainless ready to go with a Sightron 3-9 x 42 scope. I can't explain the feeling...how much I wanted it, how glad I am to have it. How it feels when I toss it to my shoulder. How easily the scope comes into view. I like the inexpensive plastic stock -- it feels solid. It's not as elegant or as beautiful as a classic walnut and blue steel rifle, but is sure is nice to have a trouble-free modern material rifle. Hopefully I can find some inexpensive mil-surp rounds to feed through the classic action.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I hope you take care of that barrel by shooting quality ammo in it. Some of the milsurp is good ammo and some is not.

mattsbox99

Hunter
If you want to shoot Mil Surp, get the HXP stuff from the CMP, they have a shipment being processed now and its supposed to be available by the end of April.

I just did some quick calculations and even though the price of the CMP stuff is very good, I can still reload cheaper than that.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
4MUL8R, A large percentage of WW II surplus .30-06 is so coroded it is flat unsafe to fire no matter how strong the rifle! I just threw out a bunch of it my brother-in-law had ratholed! I would "forget" about that avenue if I were you. Take it from somebody that has seen a lot of "peeled" barrels on some very fine rifles!.................Dick :wink: