m77 mark ii project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thasaint87

Bearcat
So I recently bought a harris bipod for my m77 mark ii .270. I decided to kind of make my gun a work in progress. I eventually want to change the synthetic stock to a synthetic thumbhole stock but I can only find 10/22 and mini14 stocks which Im guessing wont fit mine. I also want to purchase a timney trigger and a muzzle brake for fun. Is there any order in which you would recommend me getting these options? Do you know of anywhere I could find a thumbhole synthetic to fit my gun at a reasonable price? And about how much should I expect a gunsmith to charge for installing a muzzle brake?

Thanks

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Ooops, that stock on GB is a laminate not synthetic. I've not seen any synthetic thumbhole stocks for the M77 MkII, but there may be such an animal out there.

If you're willing to look at laminates, Richard's Microfit Stocks at www.rifle-stocks.com has several styles of thumbhole stocks and lots of different colors.

If it was me doing this project...I'd do them in the following order.

1. Order Stock (seriously looking at that rosewood laminate).

2. While waiting for new stock, clean up the original trigger and sear. (Just debur and polish the edges of the sear and trigger...will probably suffice for hunting till you get the Timney.)

3. Obtain the Timney. (Take your time installing it, seen a few rushed jobs that were worse than the original trigger.)

4. Find a muzzle break that you like. Order it and have a smith install.

Ted

thasaint87

Bearcat
If I were to get laminated stock Id prefer a black on black wood grain or a black on grey. By the way, I have the synthetic skeleton stock on my mark ii and I was wondering if ,since I am getting a new stock, it is worth any money? Unfortunately It came with U joint sling swivels and not the swivel stud. I had a swivel studs installed and the U joints removed and now there are holes going through the stock which would lower price.