M77 in 375 H&H accuracy question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mihkmihk

Bearcat
I purchased a used M77 Mark II in 375 H&H of early 2000's manufacture with Leupold 3-9 scope. I have not shot it yet and was wondering if anyone had ideas of what kind of accuracy to expect when I sight it in on a benchrest at 100 yards. I have Remington 270 gr soft point factory ammo (I don't handload). Thanks!

MOA

Bearcat
Minute of beast. I have shot a few of these, all the way out to 300yrds, and they generally shoot 2" or less at 100. Sometimes real nice little clusters, but 3 375 bullets touching is still a almost a 1".

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
RSM is is the MKII Magnum action. Mine is very accurate. Barrel is a heavy profile. It also shoots 250gr-300gr loads to essentially the same point of aim. I made my longest shot on a live target with mine. I haven't shot any Remington factory loads so I can't comment on those. I did initially shoot some Hornady 300gr softpoints and they were accurate enough but handloading made it shine.

mihkmihk

Bearcat
I took it to the range today and did a 2.75" group with the Remington 270 soft points at 100 yards. I used a scope and sand bags.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I still want an RSM in 375 H&H. I've got a No.1 H in 375 H&H and an RSM in 416 Rigby and love both rifles.
Handloading is the best way to feed that one mihkmihk and the best way to see just what it is capable of.

What scope are you using?

For comfort's sake, get a Past recoil shield so you can shoot it longer. Save your shoulder and be more comfortable because shooting it from the bench for long periods will wear you out.

mihkmihk

Bearcat
doccash: The shooter is definately a limiting factor in this! But I am starting to get used to the big rifle and I like it.
I've got a Leupold VX II 3-9x scope on it.
I may need to take up handloading...any good web resources for that? The recoil shield sounds like a good idea also but I was going to practice most of the shooting standing using sticks.

GaryVA

Bearcat
Mine was the later generation RSM and would shoot the factory 270grain SP ammo into a uniform 1 1/4" 3 shot group at 100yards off sandbags with free recoil. The rifle was very consistent when the barreled action was properly torqued into the stock. The barrel was fairly good when broken-in and would shoot handloads a bit closer to 1 MOA. An easy rifle to shoot well as they are very heavy for a 375H&H, but because they are so heavy, they are a bit sluggish in the handling department.

The best 375H&H to be had from a Ruger is to modify and re-bore a factory 338WM. This makes a woderful well handling package for such a rifle as the recoil of the 375H&H is not bad. But, the new line of 375Rugers have made this custom option obsolete:)

Best

mihkmihk

Bearcat
I bought handloading equipment and got much better results. With the Remington factory ammo (270 grain soft points) I was getting 2.5 - 2.75" (and larger) groups. With the handloads the four 3 shot groups I tried were 1.7, 1.8, 1.3, 1.5" (fired seated with sandbags helping fore and aft.) For the record I used 250 grain Sierra Game King bullets with 61.0 grains IMR 4895 powder which should push that bullet to 2600 ft/sec by the books. Cheaper, more accurate, and less recoil-what's not to like!